Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Centre drill extension

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools

Centre drill extension

I have a home made X Y table from part of a small mill on my bench drill which I use for coordinate drilling.
    One problem is a limited quill travel of 50 mm and switching from a centre drill to a twist drill takes up nearly all the travel and moving the drill head loses the datums.
    The answer is to make an extension for the centre drill to match the length of my edge finder and the length of the average twist drill. Made two for different sizes rather than a double ended one and rather than use grub screws I have simply used Threadlock which is easily removed with heat.
    Centre drill extension-c-drill.jpg
    The bench drill has been modified to enable the head to be lowered on the column to within range of the job in hand.
    Centre drill extension-p-drill.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

LMMasterMariner (Mar 14, 2018), PJs (Mar 15, 2018), rlm98253 (Mar 14, 2018), Seedtick (Mar 14, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    That's a good idea. When I made my morse taper centre drill holders I really should have made them with a bit of an extension.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    Have the same problem even with 84 mm quill travel which I have at drill/mill. Nice idea. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
    LMMasterMariner

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks olderdan! We've added your Drill Extension to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: olderdan's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Interesting idea. I am really interested in how you modified the drill press to lower the head. Could you say a few words about that? I was thinking of modifying one of my little presses that way.

Thanks

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    Interesting idea. I am really interested in how you modified the drill press to lower the head. Could you say a few words about that? I was thinking of modifying one of my little presses that way.
    Hi JoeH,
    Very simple to do on my press as the only thing I needed modify was the belt guard by cutting away a portion to allow it to still flip for a speed change.
    I have made a security column stop collar which is vital for a controlled decent and the column is now a solid one to replace the flimsy thin walled tube of the original.
    There is little point in doing all this unless one is using an XY table which is why I have not posted the mods as everyone seems to have a mill these days.
    Hope that helps.
    I have replaced the clamping set screw for a bolt for easier access

Thanks

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    Hi JoeH,
    Very simple to do on my press as the only thing I needed modify was the belt guard by cutting away a portion to allow it to still flip for a speed change.
    I have made a security column stop collar which is vital for a controlled decent and the column is now a solid one to replace the flimsy thin walled tube of the original.
    There is little point in doing all this unless one is using an XY table which is why I have not posted the mods as everyone seems to have a mill these days. I have replaced the clamping set screw for a bolt for easier access.Centre drill extension-imgp0026.jpg
    Hope that helps

9. The Following User Says Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

PJs (Mar 15, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Thanks for the posting Olderdan. I like the idea of it for small shop presses with that issue. As I don't have an XY table (yet) I do try to minimize movement of the table height by finding a comfortable place for both and the throw before starting operations...but not always possible. Your idea would work great. One day I'd love to have a set of stub/screw machine drills that could be used on my mini or the press. I do keep any broken bits and resharpen if possible to more of a stub size...but still a far cry from a 115 piece set. Nice looking XY table too. Interesting design of your DP in that the post is pretty centered in the head/motor mount makes for even load as most inexpensive ones I've encountered seem a bit nose heavy and your solid post would make a world of difference.

I've seen mods for a side jack screw to raise and lower the head or a heavy table...if you move it a lot might be worth exploring?

Thanks again for sharing,
    PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Mar 17, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    Hi JoeH,
    There is little point in doing all this unless one is using an XY table which is why I have not posted the mods as everyone seems to have a mill these days. I have replaced the clamping set screw for a bolt for easier access.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0026.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	22728
    Hope that helps
    Thanks. My purpose is a little bit strange. I want to lower the head so I can use it kind of like a mag drill without the magnet. Still thinking of ways to hold everything down.

Thanks

olderdan's Tools
    Thanks PJs
    The 14 x 4 inch mill table was from a Portmac Redman mill in the style of a mini jig borer made in the UK and the X axis was part of the base casting which I did not have, I would have loved to obtain the whole machine.
    Centre drill extension-screen-shot-03-16-18-07.53-pm.jpg
    The slides are of square section so are made square to each other, I made an X axis from an alloy plate with brass bearing surfaces and various bits to form a slide, as this is only used for positioning it has proved up to the job.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

PJs (Mar 18, 2018)

Thread Information