Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cheap Drawer Slide CNC Machine

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    The pen drawings look real good....:O)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

pfredX1's Tools
    I am kind of addicted to plotting with my CNC. It is so quiet, and the results are strangely satisfying. I am on the third version of pen holder for my machine now. I am quite pleased with the latest one I've made. I can change pens easily with it, and it appears to work well too. I settled on using Pilot Precise V5 extra fine pens. Because they're cheap, and easy to get. Though I kind of prefer how a good regular ball point works over these pens. Oddly getting plain ball point refills is not so easy these days. At least not the metal ones like the one pen holder I made needs. It worked pretty good, but I think my latest pen holder works better. Just these Pilot pens are not quite as good. I may have to figure out some way of using other ball point pen refills? When the pens I'm using now die I will look into how I can put plain ball point refills into them.

Here's another plot I did on my machine http://i.imgur.com/YjsaF5g.jpg Due to how the software I used was setup it ran over that 3 times. That's plain blue ball point ink. My CNC machine is like an artist.

Here's my latest pen holder http://i.imgur.com/KSlrLhH.jpg The pens are a friction fit into that tube. They just jamb up in there. Because the pen bodies are tapered, and I put a chamfer on the end of the tube.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    Nice cnc pfred, I like the use of HDPE for the Z axis. I think the use of your cnc for a plotter is a great idea also. When I first made mine that is one of the tests I used to test the x and y axis for accuracy. Nice to have a machine that can make parts for itself and also make prints for the part!

Cheers, JR

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 5, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    pfredxi,

I too like your CNC for a plotter as you work through the G code and prove the electronics are doing what it is supposed to do. I think the machine would make a good engraver. JR has a great suggestion similar to what he did with his CNC machining center where the machine built it own parts for its next better version. Thank you for the photos and progress report.

Regards, Paul
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Oct 4, 2016 at 10:35 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 5, 2016)

Thanks

pfredX1's Tools
    To make a better machine I need to get metal frame material, ball screws, and real linear guides. But right now for what I am doing my drawer slide machine is sufficient.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pfredX1 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Oct 6, 2016)

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    Yes, I know the addiction of CNC.
    One day I saw an ad for a sign machine that made letters and numbers and graphics it came with a computer, sign software and a plotter.
    After many months of studying this system I finally got the software learned then I was hooked
    hearing that plotter whizzing back and forth creating these wonderful graphics.
    I still have the machine and it still works fine I use it to add graphics and signage to my many projects. Just another form of artistry to be moved by the hand of mankind.....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Oct 6, 2016)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I would like to build a simple plotter/cutter to cut paper gaskets. Any ideas?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information