Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Cheap milling machine digital quill readout.

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Cheap milling machine digital quill readout.

Hi All

I made this simple bracket to fit my Bridgeport Mill Quill. This is a very useful and quick setting tool. Yes, you can buy a commercially made one but at £200 plus they are not cheap. So, I decided to make one. The digital readout itself was an eBay buy at £34 and the aluminium was just some off cuts from another project. I also had to buy some longer UNC screw to attach the bracket to the mill. In total about £50 all in. (not taking in consideration my time, which I consider to be free as this is one of my hobbies) I did engrave the text on the bracket on a friends machine.
    I am also going to fit one, to the lathe tailstock in the near future just need to decide how I want to mount it.

Cheap milling machine digital quill readout.-img_0458.jpgCheap milling machine digital quill readout.-img_0459.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0458.JPG 
Views:	817 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	21512Cheap milling machine digital quill readout.-img_0461.jpgCheap milling machine digital quill readout.-img_0462.jpg

Many thanks again for taking the time to view.
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

astroracer (Jan 16, 2018), Paul Jones (Jan 16, 2018), Seedtick (Jan 15, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Milling Machine Quill DRO to our Milling category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

astroracer's Tools
    Thanks for the ideas bud, gives me something to think about for my quill DRO project. AND it looks nice!
    Mark

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information