Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Check those band saw blades!

Thanks

bobs409's Tools

Exclamation Check those band saw blades!

Bought a new band saw blade today and tested it by cutting some 1018 3/4 solid round. It took about 3 minutes!!!

Turns out that either when they coiled it up for packaging or perhaps the way I unwound it, the teeth were facing the wrong direction. I removed it and with a pair of gloves was able to twist it inside out.

So if you ever had a band saw blade that didn't cut right from new, this might be why.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 1, 2017), Seedtick (Jul 3, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I went to the industrial supply once to order a new blade the guy said if yuo have time to wait we'll get one made up for you.
    I knew it normally took them around 10 minutes to cut from a roll and weld one up so I waited when the blade was laid on the counter the first thing I did was inspect the weld as previously they had a new guy who forgot to grind it properly but what I saw this time floored me the guy had apparently cut it too short then added an inch to it I wasn't about to have a new blade with 2 welds in it only an inch apart but that wasn't bad enough the 1inch section was a different tooth pitch I always buy a 7/14 pitch but the section was a 3 /9 pitch

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    It might pay to check the teeth as the peaks are proberly rolled over now. Sort of like running a mill cutter or your lathe in reverse due to brain fade, I think Forrest Gump summed it up aye.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    When you uncoil your blade, you can end up with the teeth flipped.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    When you uncoil your blade, you can end up with the teeth flipped.
    NO, the teeth always go the same direction! That said if put on right will cut fine. OR VISE A VERSA

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ncollar View Post
    NO, the teeth always go the same direction! That said if put on right will cut fine. OR VISE A VERSA
    You missed the point of my post, you can take a welded blade, that has been "folded" into 3 coils, when uncoiling these, you can end up with the blade reversed so that the teeth are backwards when installed in the bandsaw.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ncollar View Post
    You have to take into account the fact that a blade can only be mounted on the saw in one orientation, i.e., with the teeth on the outer side of the drive wheel.

Try this gedankenexperiment...

Blade on (assumed vertical) bandsaw - teeth pointing down (will cut on downstroke)

Flip blade as shown on video, teeth still point down but I have to rotate blade 180 degrees about vertical axis to remount on bandsaw (toothed side of blade must be on outside of drive wheel).

Teeth now point up and will not cut.

Draw some teeth on a strip of paper and try it using a coin or bottle cap to simulate the bandsaw drive wheel.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    I've had that uncoiling the wrong way several times so always check, same as I always look at hacksaw blade orientation if I use someone else's. I always look at a drill bit cutting end as well as I have seen right hand bits sharpened left hand even from new. Keeps life interesting.

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    I've only had my band saw for a short time and never realized you could flip a blade so it never occurred to me to check. I will be from now on! Luckily, the blade was not damaged and I've been cutting a lot of steel with it since.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    With a new blade keep an eye on the tension for a while as it will relax and blades need to be tight to work properly and try and get supports as close to the work as possible. One thing to watch for on some of the 7" x 12",(or 177.8 x 304.8mm if you like metrickery),is that the blade support at the drive end can be adjusted out enough to foul the bed preventing the cut from finishing, I've been caught a few times.

Thread Information