Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: checkering

slk

Thanks

checkering

hello
    I'm new to posting threads
    I have trouble finding out how to make checkering tools for a gun stock and where to look for information

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Hi slk - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Here's one option: 1911 checkering fixture

I'm going to move your question into our Tools in Progress subforum and you should get some good suggestions.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Hi slk,
    I have given your question some thought as to what would be best to answer this.
    Some questions need answered first:

1 Are you just getting into checkering?
    2. Do you have access to or have a machine shop.
    3. Is money an issue
    4. Is time an issue or no issue.

But anyway this is my suggestion and I hope it helps.
    If you are just starting to checker than I would forego trying to build my own tools. Unless you are an experienced machinist and then I am not sure it would be money ahead.
    Checkering tools are not real cheap although a lot of books on gunsmith tell you they are. A good starter set with just the basics may be the way to go if money is not the problem. I looked around and bought my set for around $50.00.
    But if money is tight you can go to Brownells, or MidWay USA or any number of Gunsmith Supply Houses and buy individual checkering shanks and individual cutters that would fit your need. But you may have to hunt around to see if they are in stock. Checkering Shank is around $7.00 and cutters are around $6.00 or more depending on the size you want.

If you really want to make cutters and handles I would suggest getting the individual pieces to use as templates then with time and the machines to do it you could make your own.
    There is a video on MidWay USA that explains how to make a checkering tool and it is very straight forward. But if you are going to do a job for a client or even yourself,I still sugest getting the starter kit.

Ebay.com has them but becareful they can be very expensive if bidding on them. Some of the other hsuppliers can be cheaper and would save you in the long run.

I can be long winded when it comes to my passion and I want a person to be succesful in their quest to checker.
    Also and a real good book to get would be Monty Kennedys book Checkering and Carving Gunstocks. It has a world of info on Checkering along with some templates. Another good book would be The Final Touch - A Complete Course in Gunstock Checkering
    by Joel Schafer

Hope this helps
    probably info overload
    Mike
    Mike_154

slk

Thanks

checkering thanks for info nicely written article

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_154 View Post
    Hi slk,
    I have given your question some thought as to what would be best to answer this.
    Some questions need answered first:

1 Are you just getting into checkering?
    2. Do you have access to or have a machine shop.
    3. Is money an issue
    4. Is time an issue or no issue.

But anyway this is my suggestion and I hope it helps.
    If you are just starting to checker than I would forego trying to build my own tools. Unless you are an experienced machinist and then I am not sure it would be money ahead.
    Checkering tools are not real cheap although a lot of books on gunsmith tell you they are. A good starter set with just the basics may be the way to go if money is not the problem. I looked around and bought my set for around $50.00.
    But if money is tight you can go to Brownells, or MidWay USA or any number of Gunsmith Supply Houses and buy individual checkering shanks and individual cutters that would fit your need. But you may have to hunt around to see if they are in stock. Checkering Shank is around $7.00 and cutters are around $6.00 or more depending on the size you want.

If you really want to make cutters and handles I would suggest getting the individual pieces to use as templates then with time and the machines to do it you could make your own.
    There is a video on MidWay USA that explains how to make a checkering tool and it is very straight forward. But if you are going to do a job for a client or even yourself,I still sugest getting the starter kit.

Ebay.com has them but becareful they can be very expensive if bidding on them. Some of the other hsuppliers can be cheaper and would save you in the long run.

I can be long winded when it comes to my passion and I want a person to be succesful in their quest to checker.
    Also and a real good book to get would be Monty Kennedys book Checkering and Carving Gunstocks. It has a world of info on Checkering along with some templates. Another good book would be The Final Touch - A Complete Course in Gunstock Checkering
    by Joel Schafer

Hope this helps
    probably info overload
    Mike
    Mike_154
    thanks for the information nice of you to give a little time for a great reply

slk

Thanks
    winter is coming and I was looking for a winter project
    thanks for reply
    i'll check out the book

Thanks

Making checkering tools

Quote Originally Posted by slk View Post
    hello
    I'm new to posting threads
    I have trouble finding out how to make checkering tools for a gun stock and where to look for information
    slk, I have found a book that shows checkering tools and how to make them. It is the Modern Gunsmith v1, by Howe. you can find it on the web to download for free. On page 12 of the book it shows and tells how to make checkering tools. Hope this is what you were looking for, Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    There are dozens of sites that offer the book for free but all wat you to sign up or offer a free trial
    I searched until I found this limk No sing up no questions it just stsarts downloading the PDF
    the book is about 383 odd pages and chock full of information
    the link for vol1
    http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerd...20-%201941.pdf
    the link for vol2
    http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerd...20-%201941.pdf

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Nov 12, 2016 at 11:40 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information