Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Chinese heavy "dtuy" wrench

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts

Chinese heavy "dtuy" wrench

Chinese heavy "dtuy" wrench. Could always be photoshopped, after all, it's the internet, but I've personally seen this same stuff on Harbor Freight wrenches.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

aphilipmarcou (Jul 4, 2017)

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    |-)
    But we can reasonably wonder if, when a western country tries to sell a product in China, if it is correctly stamped in the Chinese alphabet, if any stamped in Chinese ...

2000 Tool Plans
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

Supporting Member LMMasterMariner's Avatar
    Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    Hello,

No wonder they saw this article:
    Quote:
    Take a look at this paragraph. Can you read what it says? All the letters have been jumbled (mixed). Only the first and last letter of ecah word is in the right place:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.
    Unquote

Best regards
    LMMasterMariner

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LMMasterMariner For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Mar 31, 2017)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    There's a good meme about this, that pokes fun at the Western tradition of getting tattoos of Chinese words.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Don't sell the Chinese short when it comes to precision manufacturing capabilities or quality. My own experience thirty years ago sourcing disk drive parts in China taught me a few things. In the time frame of the 1980s the Chinese were barely recovering from the technological devastation of their Cultural Revolution and even then making progress investing heavily in European and Japanese technology.
    (Note: now the USA is slowly entering its own version of a technology destroying cultural revolution. We've already lost our ability to manufacture high quality metals and modern large scale energy generating equipment. Other science based technologies will wither given the new direction of our politics)
    The Chinese military just recently rolled out a very impressive array of new weapons. This stuff is not the product of shops that keep Harbor Freight stocked with cheap tools and our "dollar" stores selling 99 cent kitchen utensils.
    Ed Weldon

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Weldon For This Useful Post:

aphilipmarcou (Jul 4, 2017), Christophe Mineau (Apr 1, 2017)

Thanks

Wink live up to your statement!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Chinese heavy "dtuy" wrench. Could always be photoshopped, after all, it's the internet, but I've personally seen this same stuff on Harbor Freight wrenches.

it's only heavy dtuy if it doesn't braek easy!

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Many of the students and teachers at our schools spell worse than this, and their first language is English. Of course that only applies to the students that can actually read and write by the time they leave High School. I am willing to bet that there will be very few students in China that have that problem.

All that aside, I love these mistakes in signage and language interpretation. One of the funniest that I recall was on a builders van in Singapore that said "Amateur Construction Company".

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    There's a good meme about this, that pokes fun at the Western tradition of getting tattoos of Chinese words.
    Yes! there was the same joke in a recent French comedy "La Dream Team" (very funny by the way)

The guy, boaster, wanting to impress a girl in a bar, asking what means his tatoo, tries to pronounce it, and translates :
    "-The rose only has thorns for the person who wants to cut it- , it's my motto" ...
    Bad luck, there was also a Chinese person in the bar who says :
    "No, it's written -sweetened sauce - salted sauce - "

watch from second 34 :

Last edited by Christophe Mineau; Apr 1, 2017 at 02:14 AM.
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    "Many of the students and teachers at our schools spell worse than this, and their first language is English. Of course that only applies to the students that can actually read and write by the time they leave High School. I am willing to bet that there will be very few students in China that have that problem."

Absolutely right on.

"All that aside, I love these mistakes in signage and language interpretation. One of the funniest that I recall was on a builders van in Singapore that said "Amateur Construction Company"."

The sign is absolutely correct. "Amateur" in its original and strongest meaning still means "lover of (whatever)", from the Latin 'to love'. For example, amateur astronomers make important contributions to astronomy every day - using their equipment, and at their own time and expense. You may be aware that Galileo, Kepler, and countless others were all amateur astronomers" until their genius gave them patrons (today's "sponsors") which made them "professional". Unfortunately (and mainly in North America, I think) the word "professional" has become to mean "I/we get paid for our work" such as it may be, regardless of the work's quality.
    I think "Amateur Construction Company" is a great sign, as unconventional as it sounds. How many of us can write a logo in Chinese that cannot be made fun of?
    Still, I see the humour in this ad.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to volodar For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (Apr 15, 2017)

Thread Information