Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Chip protection for my lathe

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Chip protection for my lathe

Most of my lathes have always had a drop down chip deflector for use when turning up close to the chuck. My 65 year old le Blond round head does not and never has.
    A while back I came across a lexan or plexiglass display case window that was shaped in a large radius and nearly 6 ft long I thought that it might make a perfect view window for use on the old lathe.
    I first cut it down to size then split a length of 1/2" SS tubing to put on the leading edge to not only stiffen the plastic but to serve ad an edge protector and a convenient handle to raise it out of the way.
    Next I will have to make a mount and pivot for it to mount it with Hopefully I will be able to find a pair of gas spring struts to hold it up
    Chip protection for my lathe-20180608_131248.jpgc.jpg
    I used silicone to secure the tubing to the edge so the kitten and puppy had to inspect the knot to make sure it was going to hold together
    Chip protection for my lathe-20180608_145319.jpgc.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 10, 2018), PJs (Jun 11, 2018), Seedtick (Jun 10, 2018), zarembak (Jun 10, 2018)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    It's always important to properly lab test new machinery. Cat scans are often needed as well

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jun 11, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    It's always important to properly lab test new machinery. Cat scans are often needed as well
    Busted me up!

The pic instantly reminded me of an incident with my dog Smokey (Husky/German Shepard, 120lbs in his prime) when I was a kid. He hated cats for good reasons IMO, but a much longer story. He launched while I was brushing him on the picnic table in the back yard, when a kitten showed up and strolled right in like he owned the place...All three of us tearing out the gate and down the street me trying to stop Smokey and the kitty running for his life. The kitty made it to the front door alcove of his house with Smokey about 10 feet behind and me 10 behind him. Just as I rounded the corner of the garage I saw the kitty in the corner up on his hind haunches and smokey just about the lunge. As he did the tiny kitten stood up and just Shredded his nose about 10 strokes worth in 2 seconds. Smokey Jumped back, sat down just like the pic and snorted shaking his head just as I arrived and let out a single BARK! I grabbed his collar and drug him home and cleaned up his nose while he was giving me that look...Holy Crap, What just happened! From then on I always closed the gate...

Nice start Frank, look forward to seeing it on your LeBlonde! And thanks for the giggle!

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Pj we have 1 dog and still have 5 of her pups but they are now 6 months old so really not pups . 3 cats and 2 kittens.
    When the dog was only 6 months old she found 3 orphaned kittens those are now the cats anyway the dog is a blue healer mix. One day I see her in a field heading these nearly starved kittens towards the house they couldn't have been much more than 3 weeks old anyway the wife fed them using a dish rag dipped in milk until they were old enough to drink from a bowl. Now the dog and the 3 cats do everything together or did until she had pups in the winter then the cats the dog and the pups shared the same dog house through the winter months we kept a heat lamp on to ward off the near zero degree temps. for them. Now the pups have the 2 kittens to play with a pup will lay down to sleep and a kitten will lay on top of it or the other way around but that results in a pup getting clawed

Got the chip shield mounted on the LeBlond today this is one of those function over form jobs I wanted it easy to remove if needed and didn't want to spend a lot of time fabricating a mount that I might decide to change later anyway.
    Chip protection for my lathe-20180611_154536.jpglb.jpg

Chip protection for my lathe-20180611_154550.jpglb.jpg

Thanks
    Frank
    I think it looks for tempo. If it works out as good as you would like then you can fab some nicer mounts.

My dog and cat story did not end with good results. I had a 105 lb Rhodesian Ridge-back and the neighbor had a cat that teased the h*ll out of him. He studied the cat and the cat liked to climb on the top of a privacy fence just out of Savages reach. He watched that cat and one day he figured out how to do it. The cat got up on the fence and Savage charged straight at the fence and turned sideways just as he got to the fence and yes the cat lost it's life that day.
    Hope the story doesn't offend anyone.
    Nelson

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Nelson the thing is most of the time I find these things more in the way than useful, but those are the ones that only extend a few inches past the chuck. This one being the full length of the lathe you are correct I may find that I like it well enough to fabricate a nicer mounting system and add gas springs

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Your shield does looks quick and plenty usable Frank. I always thought a smaller flip up one like yours that fits on the carriage cleanly would do a sufficient job of deflecting chips into the pan at the source.

Blue Healer, never had one but been around a couple of males. They have an interesting temperament that I've seen. Cool story about your critters, funny how things like that happen. Found a ferrule cat with kittens in a abandoned washer once. She was pretty banged up from some kerfuffle (torn ear and deep cuts) but turned out to be a cool cat with more attitude than the typical house lord, but got hit by a car a year or so later.

PJ
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Pj the only animals like cats or dogs we have ever had except for one were wanderups meaning they just show up and decide this is home. Then pretty much take over
    The 1 exception was a 120 LB female warlock. A friend gave her to us because she was just too large and protective to haul around in his freightliner. She took to the wife like peanut butter and jelly she was 6 when we got her but after we had had her for 10 years she woke up 1 morning with a twisted stomach. the Vet said at her age she would never survive a surgery. I don't know if that was true or not but he might as well have given my wife the needle instead. It took 10 years before she would even consider another animal being allowed in our yard.

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    That is a tough one and was similar when Smokey died at 17...he ran off and found him behind a restaurant (Owner called Dad, I was out by then) laying there waiting for the end...would have taken a bullet for him as he would for me. Only dog I ever had from a "Store" was a Norwegian Elk Hound my first wife and I got after my son was born. Great dog (40 pounder quarter horse could turn on a dime at full goose) but had female trouble at about 10 just after the split up, and had to be put down...consoling my son, I said to my self I'll never have another till I have 40 acres and a place for them to be free...and haven't...and appreciate what you have for yours.

Only dogs or critters for that matter I've ever had issue with are Dobi's and a Bull (~800lb) once...but that was my bad and Smokey saved my butt on that one. My buddy in HS, folks had a pair of Dobi's and never liked me at all, but put up with me at some level as long as they were fenced off in the back yard while I was over there. They are very protective but Off a bit because of breeding, imho.

I get along with most critters and enjoy their company. We've enjoy all the local critters (~20 generations of deer in the back yard, my Red Tail Hawk buddy and a fox that climbs up in the Big Oak down the hill for a nap when he's around). A big ole 4 pointer came through last fall and remembered his markings for when he was a fawn...stopped and munched on the dreaded blackberry's while we had a chat for maybe 10 minutes. Don't feed any of them but put water in the bird bath for everyone...even the squirrels.

Here is a shot of our Fox buddy (he helps out with the field rats), napping with one ear up...he's about 30' off the ground.

Chip protection for my lathe-tree-fox4a.jpg

PJ
    Last edited by PJs; Jun 12, 2018 at 01:22 PM.
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    My neighbors thought that Roxie was just a huge Dobe when we first got her. one guy said man Dobermans are not supposed to get that big . I said nope a Doberman wouldn't get this large but she is not just a doberman according to her papers she was a true descendant of the Borong the Warlock and not one of those cross breed Dobe Danes.or Dobe Rotties
    She was only about 3 inches taller than a large doberman and had a wider chest and only slightly heavier legs. @120 lbs though she was just as agile and had great symmetry proportionately speaking. It was too bad she had been fixed before we got her as the AKc Borong bloodline was getting increasingly rarer by then.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jun 13, 2018)

Thread Information