Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Chisel sharpening jigs

Thanks

Chisel sharpening jigs

Hi I am learning how to do woodturning and I require some help in this direction
    Also help in keeping the price down with help intool and jig making.
    Regards Mac

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Hi Mac - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Here's a link for ideas: Homemade Tools Search: chisel sharpening - HomemadeTools.net

Do you see any you like?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

kenrizza's Tools

New to Woodturning

Quote Originally Posted by Redmac690 View Post
    Hi I am learning how to do woodturning and I require some help in this direction
    Regards Mac
    My best advice is to Google the American Association of Woodturners and sign up with them. Then I would go on their website and find a local chapter of the AAW near you and visit a meeting. They are very inexpensive to join and a wealth of info. Information is freely given and helpful. Sharpening is very important to learn. I have a website with some helpful videos and information. It is woodturnerswonders.com

It's a great hobby/profession

Ed
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

Ed's Tools
    Regards Mac
    Here is a link to a cheap chisel and plane sharpening jig, at the price listed including postage it's not even worth your time and effort to even make a jig to sharpen the chisels and plane blades.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...guide&_sacat=0

Or if you like a different one, just eBay search "Chisel sharpening jigs" and heaps more will appear.

For a sharpening plate, you can either buy a duel sided whetstone (about $25) or else find a piece of glass (6-8mm+ for the stiffness from a window glazier, they will usually have broken windows or offcuts) and dilute down some PVA glue, then stick various grit sizes of wet and dry paper to it. Weigh them down with another piece of glass till the sheets dry.

Cheers

Thanks

Chisel sharpening

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    Here is a link to a cheap chisel and plane sharpening jig, at the price listed including postage it's not even worth your time and effort to even make a jig to sharpen the chisels and plane blades.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...guide&_sacat=0

Or if you like a different one, just eBay search "Chisel sharpening jigs" and heaps more will appear.

For a sharpening plate, you can either buy a duel sided whetstone (about $25) or else find a piece of glass (6-8mm+ for the stiffness from a window glazier, they will usually have broken windows or offcuts) and dilute down some PVA glue, then stick various grit sizes of wet and dry paper to it. Weigh them down with another piece of glass till the sheets dry.

Cheers
    For regular chisels and plane blades, that might be a good answer. However, he is trying to learn how to sharpen and use lathe chisels which require an altogether different setup.

I would suggest going on YouTube and looking "woodturning" and "wood lathe chisels", things like this. Look through the pile of suggestions and see who has what to offer on sharpening tools. I know there are several who have made jigs.

As Ken Rizza mentioned, the American Association of Woodturners is a fabulous organization dedicated to helping all manner of turners from the absolute beginner to the outright professional. I am president of the Santa Cruz Woodturners Association and oversee a lot of new people in turning. One of the biggest challenges short of how to use the tools is how to sharpen them. Go to the AAW website at American Association of Woodturners and look through their site. Also look for a club near you and attend the meetings, ask questions, look over what people bring in, and talk to people. You will be amazed at what you might pick up. Ask people how to put together a jig or where to find a very inexpensive on.

Thanks
    Hi Mac, You have been offered some great info. Check out the AAW. Look at the Wolverine Jig and the Varigrind Jig for Gouges. Look on the Lee Valley site for prices. Best jigs you could ever use.
    Peter

Thanks

Sharpening jigs for overturning gouges

Regards Mac
    Hi Mac
    Go online and type in "Homemade sharpening jigs for woodturning" when the selection of sites comes up go to Images where you will find a huge selection to check out.
    Good luck enjoy your woodturning, a very rewarding hobby.
    Cheers John

Thanks

gavcon's Tools
    Here is a jig I made to sharpen bowl gouges using scraps of wood and metal I had around the shop.

First I took a block of red oak 3" long x 2" high x 1 3/4" wide. I drilled a 3/4" hole through it lengthwise, then a 3/8" hole down through the top and another 3/8" hole at a 45 degree angle in the bottom. I put a 1/4-20 threaded insert into the top hole and an 8" long piece of 3/8" aluminum rod into the bottom hole. I trimmed the shoulders in the front of the block so they wouldn't hit the grinding wheel when I rotated the jig.

Chisel sharpening jigs-sharpening-jig1.jpg

I rounded the other end of the aluminum rod and screwed a 1/4-20 star knob into the threaded insert.

Chisel sharpening jigs-sharpening-jig2.jpg

Next I bolted a piece of square steel tubing that had been tapped for a 3/8-16 lever knob to the bottom of the wheel housing and inserted a length of hardwood into it. I screwed a piece of 1/2" plywood with a notch cut in it onto the end of the hardwood stick.

Chisel sharpening jigs-sharpening-jig6.jpg

To use the jig I insert the gouge into the hole and tighten the star knob, making sure that the flutes are parallel to the top of the jig.

Chisel sharpening jigs-sharpening-jig5.jpg

The rounded end of the aluminum rod sits in the notch in the plywood and the jig is rotated back and forth while the grinding wheel is running.

Chisel sharpening jigs-sharpening-jig8.jpg

The angle of the grind is determined by the length that the gouge extends from the block and the length that the hardwood stick extends from the square steel tube. Adjust them until you get the angle you want.

Using this jig I can touch up a tool in under a minute. It's not very pretty, but it is quick and effective, and I would rather spend my time making pretty bowls
    Last edited by gavcon; Jul 20, 2017 at 06:21 AM. Reason: pictures were not showing

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gavcon For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jul 20, 2017)

Thanks

gavcon's Tools
    Sorry, I don't know why the attachments aren't showing. I'm good with wood; technology, not so much.
    Last edited by gavcon; Jul 19, 2017 at 05:32 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I have one of the sharpening jigs. Bought it about 30 years ago paid a lot more for it then the ones on e-bay it was before china got in the game. It works fine but i don't like the wheel running on the stone.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information