Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Chuck jaw truing tool

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi olderdan
    Not a problem to have a backplate slightly smaller. I am a mechanical craftsman and I have always turned the backplate for a new chuck 0.004"/0.008" smaller for the reasons you have made.
    Great post. Thank you
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Feb 15, 2018), Paul Jones (Feb 14, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Olderdan and Paul,

My Heartfelt condolences on your losses. Your stories brought back memories of my Mom's Teacup Poodle, Bear. She name him that because when you looked at him straight on he looked like a mini bear. One of the greatest loving and smart companions I have ever known. Unfortunately at 15 he started having mini strokes and we had to put him down. I find myself thinking of him regularly and the fun and loving times we had together. He could easily jump straight up 3' without blinking, loved to chase golf balls bounced on concrete (true cartoon picture) and would jump up in my lap and snuggle in between my leg and the arm of one my moms rockers while we watched a movie or just talked. Once I thought I could teach him to jump a bar and set up an elaborate rig to work with him. We got up to about 2 feet and when I called/coaxed him to do it he looked at me like "What the...You do it!" I busted up and then he jumped the bar straight onto me and I fell over laughing and him getting all over me. He was great for mom in so many ways over the years and especially in her hard later years. She passed a few years after him.

The best part of the story is about a year after moms passing I was thinking about Bear and Mom and some of those "moments" and when I looked up in the sky I saw this cloud that looked just like Bear chasing a golf ball. That was special and why these wonderful companions bring such a joy to our lives, I think. May your memories fill your hearts with the Joy and Love they shared with you.

~PJ

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Feb 14, 2018), Paul Jones (Feb 14, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Feb 15, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,547 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Thanks for the sympathy guys, end game is part of having pets and we have all been there, ours are all rescue dogs so at least we gave them a better life and they do reward you for it. We have had Greyhounds in the past but now find smaller dogs easier to manage. Never could figure out why they like us so much, I guess that is part of the fascination.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 14, 2018), PJs (Feb 14, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Feb 21, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Thank you for the sympathy. Each dog was a unique personality and both they and us like each other so very much.

We are also fond of cats as well We have had several: lilac Siamese, Mostlys (mostly black with some white furnishings) and Calicos. Each with its own unique personality.They seem to get along very well with our dogs and respected each other's space.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Feb 15, 2018)

Supporting Member old_toolmaker's Avatar
    Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools
    Hi olderdan,

I really like your method of using a section of tube to simulate the way the jaws clamp on the O.D. of material in the same direction they are used. Your method was new to me.
    I also have floated my mini lathe 3" 3 jaw chuck on the back plate and have never had a problem ever. A few years back I also did the same with a 4" 3 jaw that was mounted on a 5C adapter. I could dial that in right on the money and never had it slip.

Dick

10. The Following User Says Thank You to old_toolmaker For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 21, 2018)

Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools
    olderdan,

Thanks for posting this.
    This is really a great idea to hold the jaws with the the load on the scroll in the same direction in which the jaws will be used. I wish I had thought of it myself!

Dick

Thanks
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Alan,

I use a similar device but with a difference. Depending the amount of wear on the sliding grooves it may produce slightly different results.
    I use a tube which is longer than the width of the jaws and cut grooves like yours but to take the full width of the jaws not just the front. This results in a chuck which clamps a bar evenly over the width of the jaws rather than aiming for best results with short pieces.
    I have never understood why anyone would expand the jaws into a ring for truing the inside of the jaws, and vice versa.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Feb 1, 2024)

Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools
    I have never found a need to true the jaws by grinding or any other means. That is not to say it can’t be done but any chuck I have seen has never required that drastic kind of surgery.
    Dick

Links to some of my plans:

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...965#post105972 OFF-SET TAILSTOCK CENTER PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...995#post112113 SMALL TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...994#post112111 LARGE TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...383#post110340 MINI-LATHE CARRIAGE LOCK PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...191#post106483 SMALL QC TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/q...849#post119345 QUICK CHANGE LATHE TURRET
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...949#post119893 MINI LATHE COMPOUND PIVOT MODIFICATION

Thanks

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old_toolmaker View Post
    I have never found a need to true the jaws by grinding or any other means. That is not to say it can’t be done but any chuck I have seen has never required that drastic kind of surgery.
    Agreed a chuck that has been looked after from new should not truing. The 3 jaw I have is an original South Bend about 80 years old and was much abused so this improved it.

Thanks

olderdan's Tools
    Your way is a definte improvement.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information