Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Claw Clamps a home made clamp system

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,068 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Claw Clamps a home made clamp system

Hi All
    I have had a lot of interest in the clamps I use with in my workshop. I made the first clamp some 36 years ago as an apprenticeship project. These clamps are very versatile and over the last 36 years I have just added to the collection and have made two different sizes, I have a total of about dozen clamps know. The clamp has a good height range but this was improved a couple of years ago with the introduction of the Bosch aluminium extrusion and a bit of modification the extrusion can be clamped together to increase the height and therefore the capacity of the clamps. These clamps are a great addition to the workshop and are used every day be it on the mill, drill etc. I have added a link to the clamps in use on one of my projects from my web site. Practical Engineering
    Thank you again for viewing this post
    The home engineer

Claw Clamps a home made clamp system-img_0445.jpgClaw Clamps a home made clamp system-img_0446.jpgClaw Clamps a home made clamp system-img_0447.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0447.JPG 
Views:	2398 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	21435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0447.JPG 
Views:	2398 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	21435Claw Clamps a home made clamp system-img_0448.jpgClaw Clamps a home made clamp system-img_0449.jpgClaw Clamps a home made clamp system-img_0450.jpgClaw Clamps a home made clamp system-img_0451.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

aphilipmarcou (Jan 11, 2018), billd (Jan 4, 2019), billster (Sep 26, 2018), blkadder (Jan 12, 2018), Captn Roy (Jul 17, 2018), Corm (Sep 27, 2018), Dimsa (Oct 8, 2020), emu roo (Oct 7, 2020), Harvey Melvin Richards (Jan 11, 2018), high-side (Jan 18, 2020), HobieDave (Mar 27, 2020), jackhoying (Sep 27, 2018), jjr2001 (Jan 11, 2018), Jon (Jan 11, 2018), KustomsbyKent (Jan 11, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Jan 11, 2018), mr mikey (Jun 30, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Jan 11, 2018), Okapi (Sep 27, 2018), olderdan (Jan 11, 2018), Paul Jones (Jan 12, 2018), philipUsesWood&Brass (Sep 26, 2018), PJs (Jan 13, 2018), rgsparber (Jan 11, 2018), rossbotics (Jan 12, 2018), Seedtick (Jan 12, 2018), that_other_guy (Apr 21, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jan 11, 2018), Vyacheslav.Nevolya (Jan 14, 2018), will52100 (Jan 11, 2018)

Thanks

will52100's Tools
    Good looking clamps, I think I will be making some of them, they just look way to useful not to have. Thanks for sharing.

2000 Tool Plans
    courtneyknives.net

4. The Following User Says Thank You to will52100 For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Jan 12, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Dynamite; not only in design, the workmanship is evident. I'm also impressed that you constructed them instead of using up material trying to make base in one piece.
    My first question is what means produced claws themselves. Not evident by tool marks.
    Anyone wanting these could bandsaw, rotary table, plasma/ laser cut. Tapered radii are key to clamping strength of such hold downs.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 12, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,784 Times in 11,323 Posts
    Congratulations thehomeengineer - your Claw Clamps are the Homemade Tool of the Week!

It's difficult to win on a week when so many tools are posted, it's difficult to win with a clamp, and it's difficult to get that first win. You've done all three at once

Enormous week around here! Some good picks:

Y Allen Wrench by Cascao
    Walnut Picking Tool by toma
    Homemade Press and Accessories by Tuomas
    Boring Bar Holder Sleeves by petertha
    Coiled Tube Straightening Tool by thehomeengineer
    Stamp Guide by jjr2001
    Lathe Cutoff Switch by Cascao
    Grinder Dressing Tool by petertha
    Knurling Tool by Cascao
    Flange Forming Tools by thehomeengineer
    Hose Reel Bracket by bimmer1980
    Drill Press Tapping Aids by jjr2001
    Rotary Table by athomp
    Epoxy Coating Tool by darkoford
    Speargun Reel by darkoford
    ER40 Tool Holder by darkoford
    Flashlight Holder by petertha
    Fly Cutter Drilling Aid by garage nut
    Lathe Faceplate by rendoman
    Drill Press Table Mover by tonyfoale
    Scaffold Crane by bimmer1980
    Hoist Trolley by bimmer1980
    Scaffold Crane Pallet Lifter by bimmer1980
    Pallet Breaker by thehomeengineer

thehomeengineer - we'll add your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. And, you'll now notice the wrench-on-pedestal award in the awards showcase in your postbit, visible beneath your username:

You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Congratulations and well done!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Jan 12, 2018), will52100 (Jan 12, 2018)

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Toolmaker 51
    The claw itself was made from 1/2" (12mm) thick mild steel. The centre position of each radius was marked out and drilled using their co-ordinates on the mill, as well as the two pivot holes. This then enabled me to gang mill a couple of claws at the same time on the rotary table using 6mm pins in each hole locking them together. Using a 6mm bush in the centre of the rotary table I pushed the relevant pin into the bush and offset the machine from the rotary table centre then machined each radius and blend relative to that radius/hole centre. Gang milling just meant I could save some time. I hope this all makes sense?
    The Home Engineer

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

MVBowker73 (Feb 27, 2020), Paul Jones (Jan 12, 2018), that_other_guy (Aug 18, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Jan 12, 2018), will52100 (Jan 12, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    I to will have to make some of those,
    Nice job
    and Congratulations on your win
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Jan 12, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomeengineer View Post
    Hi Toolmaker 51
    The claw itself was made from 1/2" (12mm) thick mild steel. The centre position of each radius was marked out and drilled using their co-ordinates on the mill, as well as the two pivot holes. This then enabled me to gang mill a couple of claws at the same time on the rotary table using 6mm pins in each hole locking them together. Using a 6mm bush in the centre of the rotary table I pushed the relevant pin into the bush and offset the machine from the rotary table centre then machined each radius and blend relative to that radius/hole centre. Gang milling just meant I could save some time. I hope this all makes sense?
    The Home Engineer
    Absolutely clear. I've mentioned before having good access to machines and tooling and enjoy using them all; rotary tables are high on the list. I'd tend to bandsaw profiles oversize to ease gang-milling. Otherwise I'll scale mine accordingly to yours; my present set aren't so adaptable to extruded shapes, THAT is a brilliant addition.
    Your process makes the clamp consistent, so they operate with the same 'feel', X amount of torque = Y amount of clamping. Safe, repeatable setups benefit a great deal from that. And a salute on your Tool of the Week win. As Jon said a full week of submissions, the clamps are what I zeroed in on.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Jan 13, 2018)

Thanks
    The Home Engineer
    Your clamp reminds me of the vise clamps for drill presses. I love the design and will be making up some very soon.
    There is nothing to stop fine minds
    Beautiful
    Nelson

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ncollar For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Jan 13, 2018)

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Jon
    I would like to thank homemadetools.net for the $25 voucher I recieved yesterday. I have already spent this today on a aluminium machine, hand wheel for a lantern style chuck I am in the process of building. Once finished I will post on homemadetools.net
    Many thanks again
    The Home Engineer

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 14, 2018), that_other_guy (Aug 18, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Claw Clamps to our Clamps category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thread Information