Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Clearing a foggy headlight with acetone vapor - GIF

JTG
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    A clarification regarding post #9 -- nail polish remover usually contains acetone, but it isn't necessarily the only component. There are varieties that use isopropyl alcohol or ethyl acetate instead, and a lot of them also add in various oils and scents. In this particular application, using an acetone-based nail polish remover would likely work, but do not assume that it is pure acetone, which can be purchased from hardware or art-supply stores.

A clarification regarding post #10 -- my reference to using an aluminum can/funnel and heat source is for the DIY method of vapor polishing; the clip above shows someone using a commercial option, like the one linked in post #4. The commercial version is largely the same, only it's an electrically-heated mug with a screw-on plastic spout. Using a low-temp heat gun on its lowest setting should be safe for acetone, but anything with exposed heating coils will pose some small risk. Acetone boils at 133 °F, and you do not need to get it to the boiling point for vapor polishing, so you can get good results with a very gentle heat source.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JTG For This Useful Post:

ranald (Mar 31, 2019)

Thanks
    I have an old electric small "hot plate" ment to keep a coffee cup, ect, warm. Seems like it might be a good heat source. No ignition source and relatively low heat. Looks like I've got a project. Our cars headlights are dim and the plastic is yellowing. Seems like a good approach by its self or at least a time saver before mechanical polishing.

As a side note, looked into brighter bulbs for the car. Found a strange thing. Some bulbs were 2xs as expensive with a shorter expected lifespan at the same lumens as the cheapest bulbs with longer lifespan. Perhaps the expensive bulbs are a more effective color temperature. Otherwise seems just bragging rights to have spent twice as much on an inferior product.
    Eric

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Just use some Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish and a little elbow grease. Works great

Thanks
    I would end up pouring it in my heat gun and have a flame thrower....

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information