Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: cnc engraver & vinyl cutter

Thanks

bobs409's Tools

Question cnc engraver & vinyl cutter

I'm just beginning my search for a low cost hobby cnc engraver machine and thought I'd ask here.

What I am looking for is something that can engrave into aluminum (not real deep, words, letters, etc) and also that can cut out vinyl stickers using a drag knife.

I see there are dedicated vinyl cutter machines that look like a computer printer and there are dedicated engravers or routers. Want to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Looking for any input or suggestions.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Jun 26, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    It would seem to me that the basic machine table and gantry would be or could be the same for either.that takes care of your XY axis the Z axis would be for the router/ engraver so you would probably only need to add a 4th axis servo to control the knife direction the knife could possibly be an attachment to the the body of the router/ engraver you just remove it to route or remove the router bit to cut. Many of the G code programs have capability to be programmed for multiple axis.
    I'm sure someone like Rossbotics, Tonyfoale or jr2001 or others will know a lot more about this

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jun 23, 2018)

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    After searching all day, I decided to try this die cutting machine:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cricut-Make...72.m2749.l2649

It will be perfect for decal cutting but does many other things and cuts 100's of different materials. While I couldn't engrave anything real thick, it can handle up to 3/32 in thickness which would be good enough for my needs.

If I ever need to work with thicker materials, probably a cnc router would be more suitable.

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    There's several DIY approaches, like the MPCNC https://www.v1engineering.com which can do all of it (if it's made stiff enough, which basically means smaller footprint and limited Z travel, it'll even cut out 6-8mm Al plate without trouble.)

There are a number of interchangeable heads people have designed for it: drag knife, pen plotter, laser, even plasma cutter and woodburner: https://www.v1engineering.com/videos/gallery/

Thanks
    For what your asking for I would suggest you look at the Silhouette Curio for engraving. The curio can also cut vinyl. I will let you know I’m partial towards the Silhouette branded machines. Have been using them for 6-7years now with my oldest still Cameo (1st generation) still cutting just as good as the newest which is a Cameo 3. The Cameos are used mostly to cut vinyl and stencil. I purchased a Silhouette Curio to engrave on Metal. Mostly have done Aluminum Bracelet blanks.

Just my two cents.

SJ

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information