Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: CNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.

Supporting Member machiningfool's Avatar
    Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    CNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2248.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2249.jpgToday I installed the fixed gantry to hold the Y and Z axis. I slotted the holes, so that I can adjust the symmetry of the two axis'. I can move either side 1 inch to make things square. I am almost there to start the electronics, oh, yes some paint. I haven't got any plans for the control panel, but If anyone has any ideas, I would sure like to hear them. I will use Mach 3, unless someone has a better idea, Bob., here are some pictures.CNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2244.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2245.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2246.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2247.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by machiningfool; Sep 9, 2015 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Well, all of the hardware is finished, except for mounting the router, so on to the electronics, BobCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2251.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2252.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools

Electronics for the cnc router using the Adept robotics slides.

Today, I started the wiring of the router. I chose to separate the power supply from the cards and drives so as to have more room. I used a drawer slide, no it is not powered. The low voltage circuits are pretty much done, and tomorrow I will wire the high voltage to the motors and drives from the power supply. Here are some pictures.CNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2253.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2255.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2260.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2261.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2263.jpg

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Here are some more pictures of the wiring with the servo cables installed and the 12 volt power supply. Bob It is pretty much finished except for some ground wires and the limit switches and attaching it to the computer. I had to send the pci card back to the factory for some firware updates because it has been so long since continuing the build. I am now figuring out some mame buttons for the control panel. CNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2264.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2276.jpg
    Last edited by machiningfool; Sep 14, 2015 at 06:47 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 14, 2015)

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    CNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2277.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2279.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2278.jpgI started my cabinet while KSI labs is updating my firmware in the Centipede pci card. I built a big cabinet because it holds everything, drives, breakout card, computer, power supplies, and mame wiring and buttons for control and the monitor. Bob.

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Continuing on the cabinet, today I added two fans and wired them. I am designing this cabinet to house everything and for ease of access. I have decided on PoScopeLabs button console and they will go just below the screen. They will be mounted on a tray as you will see in the picture to be able to pull it out and program and update them. Here are some pics. Bob.CNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2280.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2281.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2282.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2283.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2284.jpg

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Still working on the cabinet and some wiring. Bob.CNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2285.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2286.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2287.jpg

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Sep 22, 2015), PJs (Oct 4, 2015)

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    CNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2290.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2291.jpgThanks kbalch. I assembled the router on the z axis and realized that the weight would bring the z axis all the way to the bottom. Not good for the servos, so this contraption is a zero weight counter-balance system. I know it looks like a well or a mine, but it is necessary for balance. Some people use springs, but they are variable resistance, ok in a sophisticated system, but not in this one. Without a spring or counter weight, the servo would be working overtime to just keep the z axis in one spot, so this way the controller doesn't know whether this axis is vertical or horizontal. Here are some pics. The tube that you see is a 3 inch piece of pvc and a smaller tube filled with cement will be hung by a rope and extending into the larger tube. Next I will be installing limit switches for the axis'. Bob.CNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2288.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2289.jpg
    Last edited by machiningfool; Sep 25, 2015 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Interesting build project
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    I will attempt to download some pictures. Might not work as I upgraded to Win. 10 and since then it has screwed up my picture import program, can't find my pictures by date, oh well maybe I can go back to 8.1. OK, I found them, not in the same place as before, I will probably get used to it. What you are looking at is a linear rail shielding method. The roller will facilitate a 35 inch wide fabric the will extend from the X axis table, go around the roller and hang down toward the ground. There is also one on the opposite side also, will keep debris off of the slides. Now I am going to start the limit switch wiring. I found out that the counter weight will take 10 lbs. and tomorrow I will go to Bass Pro shops and buy some lead shot at 60 dollars for 25 lbs., can't buy less. I figured out that 10 lbs. should equal about 4 inches in length of the pvc tubing, we shall see. I can actually move 11 inches, so I will make it. Bob. CNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2293_2.jpgCNC router build from Adept robotic cartesian slides.-img_2294_2.jpg

Thread Information