Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: collet rack

Thanks

hardtail69's Tools

collet rack

I hope this tip helps. I was in need of a collet rack /holder. They all seemed very pricey for what they held, and were quite bulky. I did not want to hang them off my lathe due to chips flying about. Well I was at the Home Depot getting a few things for a completely different project when I saw something that made me take notice. It was stainless steel and looked like it would hold 36 ER 32 collets with ease. Well it was only 9.95 plus tax in good old North Carolina, so I figured I would try it. Guess what? It worked brilliantly it held those collets like it was made to do so.
    So lets recap a collet holder for ER 32 collets that holds 36 of them neatly and securely, looks great, and is made of stainless steel for $9.95. lol I am still laughing as I type this but the damned thing is supposed to be a cooking rack for cooking Jalapeno poppers! lol But damned if it doesn't work perfectly as an ER 32 collet holder. The holes are 1.138 an odd size to be sure but I guess that is the diameter of a jalapeno pepper lol. and here it is in the flesh so to speak. Seems it pays to keep your eyes open for things that were meant for something else but will work perfectly for your needs.
    collet rack-p1040130.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to hardtail69 For This Useful Post:

Crusty (Jul 16, 2020), Gabe (Aug 9, 2016), Jon (Aug 9, 2016), marksbug (Jul 16, 2020), Mike Walton (Jan 25, 2018), Moby Duck (Aug 9, 2016), nova_robotics (Aug 19, 2020), Paul Jones (Aug 23, 2016), PJs (Aug 24, 2016), Rangi (Aug 1, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Oct 3, 2018)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chengdave2003 For This Useful Post:

Jon (Aug 9, 2016), marksbug (Jul 16, 2020), Mike Walton (Jan 25, 2018), Paul Jones (Aug 23, 2016), PJs (Aug 24, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    This is a great tip! I should replace the cheesy particle board holder that came with the original ER32 collet set and also ran out of room with adding more metric sizes. This looks perfect and looks like I need to spend more time in the BBQ section of Home Depot. Thanks.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 24, 2016)

Thanks

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Fantastic! Thank you for sharing. Hmmm, I wonder of green peppers would fit CAT-40 holders.

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    I still like Hardtail’s post but here is a WARNING and update.

I just received what I thought was the SS rack in the OP. I also looked at the other links provided in posts 2 and 4 and ordered what looked like the OP part. It is Home Depot p/n 203009019 (Jalapeno Rack with Coring Tool). The holes are NOT 1.138” as indicated but are 1.019” +/- about .003”. At that diameter they are too small for ER-32 collets to fit sufficiently down into the hole. They fit only about ¼” into the hole and are top heavy. Moving a populated rack will most likely result in spills. If the holes were the 1.138” size the collet would be almost half way deep into the hole which is a much more suitable arrangement. Also, with the post 5 months old, the current price from my local HD is $15.00 and nobody in the store knew what I was talking about, even with a picture. I ordered on-line and while it was free shipping to the store it was sent to my house. I checked all other links provided but unfortunately, there are no hole dimensions on any of them. Be careful, just as pepper diameters will vary . . . assume the Chinese hole puncher will also.

I appreciate the spirit of the post and will probably tack weld a sheet about 1” from the top and use it to hold cam lifters.
    Last edited by Saltfever; Jan 4, 2018 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks
    I am glad someone else spilled that truth. I bought on of the Jalapeno Roasters and no it was not that great for my ER32 collets. I am going to set up something so I can bore out the hole some. If it doesn't work, well it was just 10 bucks.
    Nelson

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ncollar For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 26, 2018)

Thanks

Mike Walton's Tools
    i suppose it could work as R8 collet holders if it is too small for Er32 .
    thanks for the idea!
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way!

Thanks

hardtail69's Tools
    i suppse the Chinese may have changed the hole dimension or as is more likely home depot started getting them from a different vendor to save two pennies. Next time just go to the store with your er32 in a pocket and check to be sure it fits like mine did.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hardtail69 For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Oct 3, 2018)

Thanks
    hardtail69
    No hard feelings but I got the lead from else wheres and they said they bought it from HomeDepot. The size is too small for ER32's but I'm going to set it up on the mill and open all the holes out because I like the idea and it works out well.
    Good-Day
    Nelson
    Last edited by ncollar; Jan 27, 2018 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information