Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Convert a B&D valve Grinder to a Cutter Grinder

Thanks

Convert a B&D valve Grinder to a Cutter Grinder

Some time ago I built a CNC router for the purpose of mill engraving my wife's poetry into aluminum plate and have been pleased with my sucesses to date. That is not to say that I've mastered the art by any means but at least my learning curve is no longer vertical, LOL. I am using a HSS single lip cutter and would really like to make my own cutters which should be relatively simple given the uncomplicated geometry. I have an older but still in very good condition B&D valve grinder and would like to ask for any input if someone has done this type of conversion? I have photos of this machine if that would help.
    Thanks Wayne

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,705 Times in 9,871 Posts
    Would love to see the photos of your CNC router Wayne. I haven't done such conversions yet but with the right arbor and fixture, it would be feasible.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Would love to see the photos of your CNC router Wayne. I haven't done such conversions yet but with the right arbor and fixture, it would be feasible.
    Altair,
    Thanks for the response. I will be heading off to church first thing this morning (I need all the help I can get) but when I return I will post photos of the CNC router as well as the B&D valve grinder. When I look at the grinder my imagination says yes but my limited engineering skills tell me to slow down. I did set up a fixture on my metal lathe which I think gives me all the angles I need but have yet to try it out. What I am looking for is a step by step instruction starting with a blank piece of drill rod and then a walk through of the correct provedure. The reason I want to convert the valve grinder is so that I have a dedicated machine which won't tie up my lathe, which is just another great tool I have yet to master. I've tried to post a photo of the grinder but it doesn't appear to have gone through and I will have to figure what I'm doing wrong.
    Wayne

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    I would like to see that setup as well, wdenis.

Thanks
    Convert a B&D valve Grinder to a Cutter Grinder-img_3000.jpgI have been trying to add photos to the album I created (even followed the directions, UUGGG, LOL) but for some reason nothing happened. Maybe they are too big but I will try again. As I understand it Create the album, click browse my computer, open photo, upload and drag and drop, done. I don't think I missed anything but the photo is over three megs in size so new smaller photos may be the key. I just tried again, hopefully it worked.
    Wayne
    Last edited by wdenis; Dec 16, 2014 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYer View Post
    I would like to see that setup as well, wdenis.
    I hust uploaded a photo of the B&D valve grinder I would like to convert. I will be travelling to my son's home over Christmas beginning tomorrow and when I return I will post some photos of my CNC machine as well as a jig I built for the lathe to attempt cutter grinding on that tool, but I would like a dedicated tool for this job rather than tying up the lathe for that.
    Have a great Christmas all. I know that is not P/C but I guess atheists will have to suck it up, LOL.
    Wayne

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks for the picture wdenis. And a happy Christmas to you too!

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,705 Times in 9,871 Posts
    Thanks for the pic Wayne. This thread should get you started. Happy Holidays!

Al

Thanks

billredd's Tools
    Not sure about your grinder conversion, send a couple photos to my email. I may have some ideas. There is a new posting on the Home Made Tools forum by me that has my email and a link to https://grabcad.com/library/mill-drill-sharpening-jig-1 that you might consider if you have vertical mill capability. It is a sharpening jig for mills and drills... also can be used in fabricating new cutting tools. I designed tools, jigs, and automated machinery for 20 years of my 35 years as a professional in engineering. Retired, and make very high end knives "full time" (and momma "to do list" takes the rest of my time), so spend 10 hrs a day in garage running machinery that I built or modified.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information