Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Converted Tile Saw To A Small Diamond Slab Saw

Thanks

martialfollower2004's Tools

Lightbulb Converted Tile Saw To A Small Diamond Slab Saw

Converted Tile Saw To A Small Diamond Slab Saw-small-slab-saw-12-21-2015.jpg
    Converted Tile Saw To A Small Diamond Slab Saw-small-slab-saw-material-clamp.jpg
    Converted a Broken Tile Saw To A Diamond Slab Saw...
    With a New Material Clamp I Welded Up...

Agate, No Problem, Magnatite... Awesome!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converted Tile Saw To A Small Diamond Slab Saw-small-slab-saw-12-21-2015.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by martialfollower2004; Dec 21, 2015 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Picture Upsidedown

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to martialfollower2004 For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Dec 22, 2015), Jon (Dec 21, 2015), kbalch (Dec 22, 2015), Paul Jones (Dec 23, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks martialfollower2004! We've added your Diamond Slab Saw to our Miscellaneous category, as well as to your builder page: martialfollower2004's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    cool martialfollower2004. I'm all about re purposing HFT's. Sorry I don't mean to hijack your thread but.....

What was broken on the tile saw?

And what is the box with the knob etc on the other side of the saw?

I have one of those HFT saws and so far it's been great. My one immediate mod though was I couldn't seem to get what I thought was enough water to where the blade was actually cutting. So I took off that little bumper on the front of the guard and drilled and plumbed it for the water and no more dust and burning of the blade. But the way the motor pulls in air then exhausts it inside the guard makes it seem like it pulls a lot of the mist from cutting into the motor. Is this what broke?

Thanks

martialfollower2004's Tools
    The motor would stall at load.... especially cutting rough Sapphire. I increased the blade size and modified the motor to a larger HP a bit tricky to keep the original housing. The Variac variariable transformer is for load and a feed screw system to feed the motor, it also has an isolation transformer at the input. Your lube system is an easy fix with a small pond pump.
    Last edited by martialfollower2004; Dec 23, 2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling with an android.

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Hmm, thanks. So it sounds like the motor died just like I thought. Hope mine doesn't. Would be nice to see the detail of how you installed a new motor.

My pump was working, but IMHO I didn't like where it put the water. With the pump wide open and plenty of water coming out it didn't seem to be putting the water where it needed to be. Since I moved the outlet to right over the front of the blade it works fine now. YMMV.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Dec 23, 2015)

Thread Information