Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cooling system for dril lpress

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Nice quick threads on the cap...but a LOOONG print.
    Thanks buddy! Now its done. Finally.
    Works nicely. Video comes someday... maybe.

Cooling system for dril lpress-img_20180224_134502_631.jpg
    Cooling system for dril lpress-img_20180224_134502_632.jpg

Prints made with dremel 3d40, larger ones with tevo tornado.
    Other material stainless 316 steel. Welds with tig. Welds cleaned after welding with HNO3.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 24, 2018), Paul Jones (Feb 26, 2018), PJs (Feb 24, 2018), trevor_60_r (Jan 1, 2021)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Beautiful build and glad it all works nicely Tuomas! Looks like the prints came out perfect. Can't believe the quality of welds on the tank!! I've never heard of using Nitric acid to clean up welds on stainless. We used to use an electrolysis wand on our SS welds but it wasn't a HNO3 solution...not sure what it was and have CRS (can't remember stuff) anymore.

Looked it up and it appears to be for passivization and coarse descaling. Here is a good article from the Nickel Institute. Learn something Every Day...my motto, thanks for the rabbit hole.

Quite an excellent set of builds for any small shop! Thanks for all the terrific builds you share, Tuomas!

~PJ

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Feb 24, 2018)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Beautiful build and glad it all works nicely Tuomas! Looks like the prints came out perfect. Can't believe the quality of welds on the tank!! I've never heard of using Nitric acid to clean up welds on stainless. We used to use an electrolysis wand on our SS welds but it wasn't a HNO3 solution...not sure what it was and have CRS (can't remember stuff) anymore.

Looked it up and it appears to be for passivization and coarse descaling. Here is a good article from the Nickel Institute. Learn something Every Day...my motto, thanks for the rabbit hole.

Quite an excellent set of builds for any small shop! Thanks for all the terrific builds you share, Tuomas!

~PJ
    Thanks buddy.

Stainless 316 has so much chrome that it can be cleaned with "heavier" methods. Specially tig-welds, if welds ain't overheated and have no oxidation.. couple minutes bath is enough to clean it.

So, its very quick method... but needs special place and equipments to be safe. I can do it at work, we have special room for that purpose.

I make componets for the Valmet paper machines, most of them are stainless 316. So, its a familiar material for me.

Cooling system for dril lpress-fb_img_1519553825431.jpg

Cooling system for dril lpress-fb_img_1519553834678.jpg

Again.. happened, that i started to make simple version, but ended to remake nearly everything.

Well, it seems that its my way to do things.
    Thank you for following my road! Even that it doesn't allways follow straightess route.

Edit:

Here's some pictures from the assembling:

Cooling system for dril lpress-1.jpg

Cooling system for dril lpress-2.jpg

Pump is laying on top of the foam, so it doesn't resonate.

Cooling system for dril lpress-3.jpg

Video:

Last edited by Tuomas; Feb 25, 2018 at 08:13 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Feb 25, 2018), trevor_60_r (Jan 1, 2021), WinDancerKnives (Feb 25, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Thanks Tuomas, Paper machines are huge (got to be 8-10m) with a Wad of welding...holy kadudal. Always had a fascination with paper machines, very complex, handle a lot of weight and run at high speeds day in day out. Had a friend years ago that was a maintenance guy for them...Quite a machine system.

Thanks for the additional pics, video and the foam in the bottom was innovative noise dampening. Full Kudo's for your build, inspired by EW and his is very cool too...no pun intended.

~PJ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 26, 2018)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Thanks Tuomas, Paper machines are huge (got to be 8-10m) with a Wad of welding...holy kadudal. Always had a fascination with paper machines, very complex, handle a lot of weight and run at high speeds day in day out. Had a friend years ago that was a maintenance guy for them...Quite a machine system.

Thanks for the additional pics, video and the foam in the bottom was innovative noise dampening. Full Kudo's for your build, inspired by EW and his is very cool too...no pun intended.

~PJ
    Thanks!

Time has passed wide paper machines. 15 years ago newspaper machines we're little over 12m and speed 2000m/min.
    Now 8m is regular for cardboard and tissuepaper. Good thing is that those has more layers -> more headboxes, that brings more work for me. Also those are easier to build, slower speed -> lower pressure = doesn't need so strong, complex ( tight ) structure. We also make parts for the propulsion systems, gas turbines and windmill stators... I have worked 17 years at this workplace, somewhat 8 years with paper machines 7 years with propulsion systems and rest 2 years making whatever needs.

Bad thing is, that we are focused for big components, so making small parts for own use is sometimes difficult. 14mm wide hydraulic press or roller bender is somewhat useless when you want to make something small. Same with machining. So, i decided to slowly build my own shop.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

PJs (Feb 27, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Thanks!

Time has passed wide paper machines. 15 years ago newspaper machines we're little over 12m and speed 2000m/min.
    Now 8m is regular for cardboard and tissuepaper. Good thing is that those has more layers -> more headboxes, that brings more work for me. Also those are easier to build, slower speed -> lower pressure = doesn't need so strong, complex ( tight ) structure. We also make parts for the propulsion systems, gas turbines and windmill stators... I have worked 17 years at this workplace, somewhat 8 years with paper machines 7 years with propulsion systems and rest 2 years making whatever needs.

Bad thing is, that we are focused for big components, so making small parts for own use is sometimes difficult. 14mm wide hydraulic press or roller bender is somewhat useless when you want to make something small. Same with machining. So, i decided to slowly build my own shop.
    From the size of the I-Beam and spreader bar above I would call them substantial and heavy with a lot of welding/fab. You are definitely a master craftsman, IMHO and building your own shop and multipurpose tools is a pleasure for me/us! Thanks for sharing all that about the printing machine info.
    Mark Twain

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Feb 28, 2018)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Btw... i said in the video that Dremel printer wasn't so reliable as it should.

This was one thing that happened..

Cooling system for dril lpress-fb_img_1519837649937.jpg

This problem was fixed with strong douple sided tape. But that feels stupid, to pay 18$ from a sticker that has so weak glue that it doesn't fill its purpose.

It also stopped printing two times before parts we're ready, without known reason. It has done it before many times.
    So i decided to change cheaper and easier to control / modify printer. Somekind of bug on my dremel 3d40, just doesn't know how to fix it.

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Man that is a mess Tuomas and to have it stop repeatedly...unacceptable. Sometimes tape can deteriorate with age or improper storage but you are right $18 is PRICEY and shouldn't be that proprietary. Have you contacted Dremel about the problems? Does it have a heated bed and did it give you any fault codes when it stopped? They have them at Home Depot here and been eyeballing them because you had one...I'll pass now I think unless they help you out properly.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Man that is a mess Tuomas and to have it stop repeatedly...unacceptable. Sometimes tape can deteriorate with age or improper storage but you are right $18 is PRICEY and shouldn't be that proprietary. Have you contacted Dremel about the problems? Does it have a heated bed and did it give you any fault codes when it stopped? They have them at Home Depot here and been eyeballing them because you had one...I'll pass now I think unless they help you out properly.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Yep. And those we're new tapes... I try to contact dremel if there's update for the firmware? I didn't found any with google tough.

3D45 model has a heated platform, it also allows use of abs, nylon and pla. My 40 model has no heating and its for pla use only. ( avoids warranty if other used) Otherwise its really good printer, accurate and very easy to use. I hope there's fix for that stopping issue. I have tried with different flash drives, and uploaded file's directly to the printer via wlan. It hasn't helped.

I also connected ups (UNINTERRUPTIBLE POWER SUPPLY (UPS))
    To it from my pc, incase that there's some short power breaks at the night, that could affect. But no help from that either.

But, even that i could get my dremel working more reliable, im still happy that i bought new one. Tevo is arduino based, and it has some simple features that makes using it much interesting.

I found a simple way to attach objects inside prints, like nuts and bearings. That is usefull option imo, with dremel that can be done too, but its not so simple. ( not difficult either )

Edit:

To stay in subject.

I followed Frank's advice and rejected the surpassing system and placed valve directly to the end of the hose. Works nicely, and coolant gets mixed fast enough.

Cooling system for dril lpress-fsvgj8fje4kniac.large.jpg
    Last edited by Tuomas; Feb 28, 2018 at 12:47 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

PJs (Feb 28, 2018), trevor_60_r (Jan 1, 2021)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools

Thanks for the heads up!
    My Dremel is fixed now.

And the reason was.. wood dust. It stucked the rails, and when printing head wasn't able to move. It stopped printing. So, that actually was my own fault, because i had used too sticky oil for greasing the slides. ��

Cleaned everything and used silicone spray to lubricate rails. That fixed it.

I oiled them in the first place, because it kept squirky noise in use.

And i plamed the printer. Now it works nicely.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

HobieDave (Apr 7, 2020), Paul Jones (Mar 15, 2018), PJs (Mar 15, 2018)

Thread Information