Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Coping Sled

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Concerning terminology, if you look for Google: "glossary of woodworking (metalworking) terms", many results will appear. Of course, Wikipedia is an excellent choice for both, but for woodworking I recommend:

Woodworking Glossary - Popular Woodworking Magazine

And for metalworking:

anvilfire FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Thanks very much Morsa, those are great links. I have them book marked now!

As a wanna be amateur philologist and lexicographer I am always intrigued by the origin of some of the terms like; Snipe for woodworking, means the gouge taken at beginning and end of a planer cut. In the dictionary there is not a reference to it for woodworking that I could find. The meaning of it for woodworking doesn't relate in anyway to the definitions that I can tell, even as a transitive verb and the word originated in the 14th century Norse for the bird. My guess is someone used it as "it took a snipe at the wood" like a transitive verb and it stuck. Cope, coping and scarf follow that same tendency of derivation I think. Thank goodness for the search engine and all that is available to us now...however complex or simple.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread and build but I am grateful to learn these things. ~PJ

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    It is true that many terms used in woodworking, metalworking, or other trades have a different meaning than that of general use, and that's why these glossaries are useful. In my case, there are times I have to consult similar glossaries, in Spanish. Language translators often give you the common meaning, but not the one that is typical of these trades. To further complicate the situation, there are regional differences in the use of these terms and idioms, in Spanish and probably also in English.

The good news is now we know who to ask in case of doubt, regardless the amateur state of your credentials.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to morsa For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 26, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Sometimes I wonder if we as a species aren't in the middle of a tower of Babel now. I can truly understand and appreciate what you must have to go through sometimes converting your native language to some of these non-conforming terms and sayings, but must say you have mastered both. I also appreciate that you are kind enough to post in English too. My Spanish is Muy poco en el mejor de los casos and my German is a bit better but would never consider myself bilingual by the stretch of any real lexicographer's imagination...Amateur...Only!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by PJs; Nov 26, 2016 at 07:06 PM.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

morsa (Nov 27, 2016)

Thread Information