Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: crankcase

Thanks

crankcase

i need a tool to split the crank on my 1980 honda 200 benly motor cycle can any help

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    I'm going to send out this question to our motorcycle guys, and you should be able to get some good responses.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

suther51 (Jul 16, 2018)

Supporting Member Kwick Aronson's Avatar
    Thanks
    If I'm not mis-steakin', you'll need a press and some V-blocks to rebuild a pressed together crankshaft.

I have never seen a "tool" to do it any other way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldie View Post
    i need a tool to split the crank on my 1980 honda 200 benly motor cycle can any help
    1st sorry for my poor and mistakefull English,but I'm a self teaching people.
    Well,I'll try to tell you about crankshaft splitting,but some things need to be clear before. This shaft is a composite one,so your work is both side needed.
    You can use a normal pin bench press to push out the connecting pin ( which is one only for all crankshaft) from the each side,living the pin and all the rest were it is.
    Different if you need to disassemble totally the item.
    In any case are enough two a 10 or 12 mm rectangular plates to hold the part when you press the pin out.
    The best is warm by hot air the pin area during operation.
    Much more difficult is after recomposition,make the perfect centering of alla the crankshaft,which is a very handly experience work.
    That the reason why I suggest You to ask to a workshop were they do this work,expecially because a very little difference....make the difference.
    But in any casa write me about the problem and step by step I will try to help you.
    Try to take a look about how the item is composed here were a free spare parts catalog is.
    https://www.classiccycles.org/templa...0/kv_11999.jpg
    Giorgio
    Is a process not so easy to explane in few words.

Thanks
    I use a MotionPro case splitter

Because I so lots of different engines I chose this brand and type. I would NOT try to split the case without this tool. Heatng the casing where the bearings are press fit helps split and install the case

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Hi Oldie, I'm a bit confused because of the title saying Crankcase and the text saying Crank, (which I take as Crankshaft). Which is it? It appears that others below are too. I don't know the Benly version but looks similar to a CB200. I've worked all kinds of bikes and on Honda's all the way back to the Trail 50 up into CBF750's to the early eighties Honda's.

If it is the Crankcase you will either need to purchase a "Splitter" or build one. If it's the crankshaft most a pressed together and pinned. You will need heat (oven) for that and get the pin out first if possible...but can't understand why you might need to separate the Crankshaft??

Tony Foale, One of the new people here would be quite able to help I'm sure with his time in the UK and all the bike stuff he does.

~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Sorry,I've replayed in a wrog argument, 'cose I was thinking about crankshaft disassembling.
    Asking sorry, I suggest a plate 8 or 10 mm thick, large enough as a crankcase cover in the part were the crankshaft is.
    Then put the engine side cover on the plate and mark some of the retention screw holes. Then you need to obtain the hole were you will put the treated bar as a extractor.
    Nothing easy. If you take a look the crankshaft have a little cone hole were alternator rotor is fixed. Is the hole used to center the crankshaft.
    Put a sphere there ( in the hole) and then screwing the plate by the screw on the crankchase. when plate will be in contact with the sphere, a little bang by hammer in the touch area will live a sign enough to understand were make the hole.
    Then two chances: 1st thread the hole and use a big enough bolt as extractor pulling plate on the crankshaft, or
    2nd make a clean hole and use a bolt and nut ( nut under the plate) with the same effect.
    Mount the plate by screws on crankcase and work by the central screw as a extractor.
    If the plate is big enough, you can obtain the other side case hole with the same process.
    To use the same center hole ( were you work with the big screw or bolt) you will put the central bolt in right center position and then by some hallen screws posed on treaded case hole,obtain hole marks. It is necessary only pose some spheres on hallen cave. By this way you can adjust at the same time the plane in case of difference in high.
    In all the ways i suggest to hold in position spheres by some hard grease.

Thanks
    Misundertanding for me too. My first answer is about crankshaft.
    My second to crankchase.
    Crankcase really easy
    Crankshaft a "little bit" more difficult.

Thanks
    hi sorry for my error It is the Crankcase that i am trying to split.the bike is a 1980 honda 200t benley that had been laid for at least 20 years got it running only to get oil leak .need to replace seals .i purchased a crankcase splitter on amazon that snapped on use a better quality one will cost about 150 uk pounds .if i dont get it done while its fresh in my mind it will be a lot harder,any help will be great. thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to oldie For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 20, 2016)

Thanks
    Hi, Check this link, but you'll see that it needs a 20 tonne press so maybe take it to your local auto shop to get it parted.

A really hefty hydraulic puller might help instead (I have a 30 yr old Sykes Pickavant 20 ton puller)

Mark across the webs before you start to make sure that they align when you rebuild it.

They are held purely by interference fit.

1971 CB175 (K5) - Rebuilding Miss Daisy - Page 8

Start reading at post #73

In the past (not on Hondas, I have just bought my first Honda, a 1987 VF700C Super Magna) I have sometimes had success using hardwood wedges or (bit of a long job) fit nuts and bolts between the webs and unscrew the nuts to put pressure on the web (need to maybe pack out the bolts as the nuts are only going to give you 5mm movement but that would be enough.)

If you do it yourself, take your time and make sure that when it parts (it will go with a bang) it doesn't fall on your foot (or even worse - the floor!)

Best of luck

Tom

Thread Information