Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Cutting 8-inch steel with a torch - GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts

Cutting 8-inch steel with a torch - GIF

Cutting 8-inch steel with a torch.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Sep 10, 2020 at 10:47 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Mar 7, 2021), hansgoudzwaard (Sep 9, 2017), KustomsbyKent (Mar 13, 2018), Metalmuncher (Sep 10, 2017), mwmkravchenko (Sep 30, 2019), NortonDommi (Sep 10, 2017), rlm98253 (Mar 12, 2018), Scotty1 (Jul 20, 2021), Seedtick (Sep 8, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Sep 9, 2017)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Is that a gasoline fueled torch?

Ralph

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Cutting anything that thick would almost have to be Map or natural gas, could be done with acetylene as long as it was a 6 or 12 pack manifolded system the torch we had in Kuwait had 9 straight line torches on the back 2 planetary & 1 1200 amp Plasma torch . 9 torches cutting strips out of a 40 ft long 10 ft wide 2" plate would suck 3 12 packs dry in a day's time 1 of acetylene 2 of oxygen would have used compressed natural gas but couldn't get a permit for large enough storage
    thickest we ever cut was 4 inch on the 2 planet torches and 2 inch on the 9 straight-line the plasma would cut 4 inch but you couldn't get a true vertical cut on all sides
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    The head looks a long way away from the cutting surface. How is the gas stream held straight? Must be some high pressure behind it surely? I've hand cut 6" but I always have torch head within an inch of surface,(preheats just shy),and have found that cut gutters if torch is raised.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    The head looks a long way away from the cutting surface. How is the gas stream held straight? Must be some high pressure behind it surely? I've hand cut 6" but I always have torch head within an inch of surface,(preheats just shy),and have found that cut gutters if torch is raised.
    Yes that is all the more reason for my assumption of the type of gas being used for pressure I would suspect oxygen heat pressures in the range of 45 to 60 PS with the gas pressure upwards of the 30 to 4 PSI range while the cutting pressure probably coming in around 150 PSI. having the head that high would cut down on surface remelt
    Did you happen to notice how small the kerf was relative to the thickness. To me the kerf appeared to be more along the lines of being proportional to cutting 3 inch or less . I am wondering how much bottom pre heat was used. I knew a guy who had a custom burning business back in the day of optic eye torches who had cut his mane out if a 4" cube in Chinese he owned 3 6 head and 2 3 head torches and it wasn't anything to see him burning on all 5 machines at the same time by himself. best burner I ever knew
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Sep 11, 2017)

Thanks
    I was in a mine truck mfg.company in Billings Mont.in 1992,and had a 6" piece of steel cut from a 4footX4foot block.The guy that cut it used acetylene& oxygen to preheat the starting cut then after it started to cut he turned off the acet. and just used the 02 at about 60-70 psi. He said once the cut was hot enough it didn't need the gas, if you didn't travel to fast. this was done on a computer controlled table,it was damn near perfect. BLF.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by user name blacksmith; Mar 14, 2018 at 05:34 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user name blacksmith For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Apr 21, 2019), Paul Jones (Mar 13, 2018)

Thread Information