Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cyclone swarf separator. Thank you to previous builders of these for posting on HMT.

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

cyclone swarf separator. Thank you to previous builders of these for posting on HMT.

Hi All

There has been a few of these builds on HMT (who I thank in advance for posting). Therefore, I thought I would give it ago. I was machining in the workshop yesterday and thought right need to build one of these tomorrow. Half an hour later, it was finished.

I do like the magnet swarf wand, as it is small and easy to hand. However, it is OK for the medium to large swarf pick up, and will pick up smaller swarf but I normally end up using the vacuum cleaner to finish the job of all the little bits the wand won’t pick up (or I miss more to the point).

This cyclone separator works! Really pleased with the results so far.

The tubes are donated from an old well know red cleaner with a face on the collector bin and the main bin of the cyclone separator is an eBay item, bin with a screw on lid. (Bargain at £4.00, but a collection only item)

The steel tubes were simply, hacksawed to length filed and linished to remove the burrs. A cone-cutter drill bit was, used to cut the hole in the top and used to remove most of the material for the side hole. This hole was then jig sawed and filed to give a reasonable fit on the tube at the required angle.

Then just hot glued the tubes in place left set and then tested.

An additional baffle was, also glued in place to protect the plastic from the swarf particles on entry into the bin. As I do not know how long the bin would last with the constant follow of swarf hitting it at the same point.

For the small effort and cost in making this item, this should be a great addition to the cleaning of the workshop and will save money in the long term on filter cleaning, vacuum bags and more important the motor.

Thank you again to all who have posted these cyclone separators in the past it has been a real help to me, in the making of this item.

Finished cyclone separator
    cyclone swarf separator. Thank you to previous builders of these for posting on HMT.-img_1107.jpg
    Baffle on inside of bin inlet
    cyclone swarf separator. Thank you to previous builders of these for posting on HMT.-img_1108.jpg
    Lid assembly
    cyclone swarf separator. Thank you to previous builders of these for posting on HMT.-img_1109.jpg

The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

aphilipmarcou (Mar 20, 2018), Jon (Mar 19, 2018), Paul Jones (Mar 25, 2018), Seedtick (Mar 19, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Mar 20, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Cyclone Swarf Separator to our Cleaning category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Some of those cyclones had a lot of effort in the way of calculations; airspeed, cubic units, orifices and vents, weights of material...yikes. I'd warrant metal swarf falls out of airstream readily, making thehomeengineers adaptation perfectly serviceable. And only 30 minutes!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 25, 2018), thehomeengineer (Mar 21, 2018)

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    This is good, but auto-correction tells me it is a dwarf separator.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 25, 2018)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    This is good, but auto-correction tells me it is a dwarf separator.
    LOL. All this time I thought a low curb was sufficient. I guess modernization and reduced labor will take over anything they can.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    The chances of producing a useful auto-corrector are about the same as the chances of producing a safe self-driving car.

In both cases one needs to imagine that it's possible to create a program that can faithfully imitate the information processing capability of the human brain.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    The chances of producing a useful auto-corrector are about the same as the chances of producing a safe self-driving car.

In both cases one needs to imagine that it's possible to create a program that can faithfully imitate the information processing capability of the human brain.
    I still can't get over the fact auto-correct knows figuratively NO terminology it took to produce most manufactured items; yet prepared to filter non-PC comments, blithely ignore common speech about inconsequential nonsense, and houses a vocabulary few persons relate to.
    Once I get Word and browser up to snuff, it's time for a new PC. Have to figure method of transfer MY vocabulary of dictionary additions.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    I still can't get over the fact auto-correct knows figuratively NO terminology it took to produce most manufactured items; yet prepared to filter non-PC comments, blithely ignore common speech about inconsequential nonsense, and houses a vocabulary few persons relate to.
    Once I get Word and browser up to snuff, it's time for a new PC. Have to figure method of transfer MY vocabulary of dictionary additions.
    At least a spell-checker has some utility. It can find typos and misspellings that produce non-words. Of course it can't identify misuse of homophones* which seem to make up a large portion of the writing mistakes I see these days. What's needed is a homophone "watcher" that reminds you every time you use one of the words in its list that you should ensure you're spelling it correctly.

As to manufacturing terminology, I find it comical that the spell checker here flags "collet" as a misspelled word. The checkers on several other metalworking sites I frequent do the same thing.

---
    * For a long time, I've been assembling a compendium of the spelling and grammar mistakes frequently seen on the sites I visit. It contains a long list of the common homophone confusions. It's not something to put up here (for several reasons), but, if anyone wants a copy, email me and I'll send one along.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Could be a browser-based spellchecker too; those are also terrible. Forum talk is casual enough that I'm fine with various errors, and I'm sure I make them too. When I see an error in a paid-for publication from a prestigious source (like an $18 53-page ebook from the Harvard School of Public Health), it drives me nuts. I'm literally paying for life-and-death medical information from them; what else did they screw up? Then there are Eggcorns; nicely presented in this cringe-worthy internet classic:

I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 25, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Could be a browser-based spellchecker too; those are also terrible. Forum talk is casual enough that I'm fine with various errors, and I'm sure I make them too. When I see an error in a paid-for publication from a prestigious source (like an $18 53-page ebook from the Harvard School of Public Health), it drives me nuts. I'm literally paying for life-and-death medical information from them; what else did they screw up? Then there are Eggcorns; nicely presented in this cringe-worthy internet classic:
    And I thought I was bad
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information