Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: D10 Dozer blade conversion

Thanks
    I work out of my truck most work days and some at home. I like to see others work trucks, thanks
    Eric

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to suther51 For This Useful Post:

Radioman (Jul 13, 2018)

J_P

Thanks

J_P's Tools
    after all welding and grinding is done a good sand blast will prepare the blade for painting the final product should look exctly as if it were assembled in the factory
    What color is that paint on the blade ?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by J_P View Post
    What color is that paint on the blade ?
    That was called new cat yellow produced in batches of 500 gallons for the company by Dantex paints. It was direct to metal paint if sprayed over freshly sandblasted metal The painter used a 1500 PSI Gray-co airless spray rig sprayed without any reducers or thinners. Quick drying and as hard as epoxy once cured
    Here is a shot of a repair area on a scraper neck that I worked over night to repair a 20 inch long crack in you can't see the crack or where it was but it extended from the top right around the cushion knuckle pivot "right top" all the way down then around and under the neck I gouged ground welded sanded then peened the area with a needle scaler gun and a pointed air chipper to mimic the texture of the casting the slight vertical depression is factory spot sand blasted and painted before a customer arrived that morning The customer knew the neck was cracked because he sold it to the company only a week before, but his mechanic looked for half an hour and couldn't find it even though he had a picture of the crack. That's how we rolled fix it right and get paid or not at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D10 Dozer blade conversion-scan0766-631d-neck.jpg  
    Last edited by Frank S; Mar 21, 2018 at 07:09 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 20, 2020), Paul Jones (Jul 15, 2018)

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    My father was a welder 50yrs local 7 Boston as well as his home shop. Not many people know how much work doing jobs like this is. Nice to see great work still being done. As most buckets and blades are now throw away. No one even will pay for hard facing anymore? Just get a new one from China. Keep up the good work!

You know what they say about welders? How many of them does it take to repair a bucket? 10. One to do the job and 9 to say “I can do that”!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I've abridged Frank S's reply to emphasize what makes an economy run. I'd wager most HMT'ers recognize the sad deterioration of same in the last few decades move towards service-based economies. IMNSHO, so-called globalization only worsens it, basically works around effort to break up monopolies.
    Anyway;
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    That's how we rolled fix it right and get paid or not at all.
    Think about that; next time after a session on the phone with a service provider asked to respond on a survey. I do not comprehend what earth shattering revelation they expect to find about service, nor any sort of expectation they'll get it for free. And when they dare mention 'Quality Control', I'm in launch mode.
    Been known to have answered; "What's the matter, all your 1 year MBA's don't bring anything to the table but lunch?"
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jul 13, 2018 at 05:48 PM. Reason: I'll admit, got stuck on an awkward phrase.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 20, 2020), PJs (Jul 15, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Somewhere along the line. Service changed its meaning On the side of my old welding rig it said Frank's Welding and Repair Service. I kept adding tool boxes to it and soon instead of a welding rig people started calling it a service truck, which morphed into a full on mobile shop the truck grew from being a 9,500 LB Dodge 360 gas 4 speed and 3 sp aux. transmission with a 9 ft bed, to a 14,000 lb Ford V8 cat diesel 10 speed and 2 speed aux 10 ft bed, welding machine Air compressor torch half a dozen tool boxes Atlas 12" lathe Enco Drill Mill Auto crane Line boring machine and a stowaway tent more tools than a Snap-on tool van carried, plus I always brought my lunch because I was prepared to stay all day.
    Now when you hear the word service it means something entirely different I'm not even sure what it means today.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Holey-Moley That's a rig!
    Equipped for a variety of work, as in service. Significant investment, equipped for ever increasing amount of work types. And as I read the specs I always brought my lunch because I was prepared to stay all day." means came-saw-conquered. Ever think of adding a BBQ or grill of some sort?

In between this and post written a few minutes ago, I got a survey call; at least from a company I deal with. I'm pleased how they do business, they even survey human to human! It went fine, getting a laugh from their representative.
    Told her, surveys in my opinion, only real knowledge gained is about what services they can trim before pissin-off customers.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    When I see a BBQ grill on a guys rig it had better have welding rods in it. I had one use for one because the cab was a super cab with ample room to store 200 lbs of rods in rod ovens mounted in the inside back of the cab the ovens were hard wired into teh generator output of the welder so when it was running the ovens were heated and would stay hot over night. But in winter or the times when I was in colder climates I would simply plug in an extension cord. Never had a single rod on board that wouldn't code if need be.
    If a guy is cooking on his BBQ grill mounted on his rig he is not doing what he he was hired for. That being said there was a time when there were 10 of us on a drill site before the rig equipment cook shack or crew quarters showed up. Naturally we happened to be on a location 50 miles from the nearest anything place and according to company policy of no guns on location there probably wasn't more than 4 or 5 in any single rig LOL Me and 1 other decided it was getting on near supper time so the others who had BBQ's on their rigs fired them up Bill and I set out me with my 7-08 and he with his 300 Savage good thing it was near freezing because 400 lbs of meat was not about to be eaten in 1 night. The next day rig parts and the cook shack showed up sans any real grub, guess what was the main coarse of the next night to feed the rest of the crews who showed up as well? Spent 5 weeks on that location the coon-ass cook knew more ways to fix elk venison duck rabbit and quail than anyone I ever knew. Nope no guns here boss this meat must have come from the super market. By the way how do you like your Elk steaks medium rare or well done?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 20, 2020), clydeman (Aug 19, 2020), PJs (Jul 15, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jul 13, 2018)

Thread Information