Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Damaged thread repair tool

Thanks

brianhw's Tools

Damaged thread repair tool

Hi,
    I recently made this little tool for chamfering damaged threads on drive shafts where they have been hit with a hard hammer when installing, (never by you or me of course!). It can also be used for any size or type of thread from 1/2" to 1" in diameter, or even plain bar for that matter. It works well in the tailstock of the lathe, should you ever find the need to use it there.
    I have used a single triangular carbide lathe tool tip as seen in the video and it cuts with just minimal chatter.
    Not difficult to make if you have lathe and milling machine facilities and are prepared to do a bit of old fashioned filing !

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to brianhw For This Useful Post:

albertq (Feb 24, 2024), Andyt (Apr 2, 2020), benkeller3 (Mar 20, 2017), Bullet500 (Jan 19, 2023), C-Bag (Mar 19, 2017), Carlos B (Mar 19, 2017), CookieCrunch (Jun 9, 2018), emu roo (May 11, 2022), JD62 (Mar 21, 2017), lanemfg (Mar 21, 2017), mklotz (Mar 19, 2017), Moby Duck (Feb 6, 2018), moparleo (Feb 7, 2018), oldcaptainrusty (Feb 7, 2018), olderdan (Mar 19, 2017), Paul Jones (Mar 19, 2017), PJs (Feb 6, 2018), Ralphxyz (Feb 24, 2024), rarmintrout (May 12, 2022), rlm98253 (Feb 6, 2018), Seedtick (Mar 20, 2017), sossol (Feb 9, 2018), thehomeengineer (Feb 17, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks brianhw! We've added your Damaged Thread Chamfering Tool to our Fastening category,
    as well as to your builder page: brianhw's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Brilliant idea Brian,how many times I wish I had one of those, got to make one now.
    Thanks for sharing
    Olderdan

5. The Following User Says Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 19, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Yes, and a miniature version of this, mounted in a Dremel, would be ideal for deburring/chamfering small screws after sawing to length.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 19, 2017)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Loved the vid, and the tool. Lots faster than a tread file.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations brianhw - your Damaged Thread Chamfering Tool is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Very clever why-didn't-I-think-of-that tool, and it's going to save a lot of thread filing (and damaged thread cursing) for everyone who builds one.

Some nice picks from this week: a Powered Wheelbarrow by kenrizza, a conceptually-similar Combination Hand Truck/Trailer by Frank S, a versatile Workshop Stand by janochek, a Small Live Center by richard meidl, a Powered Watch Winder by mklotz, a Spring Compression Tool by Frank S, and a C-Clamp Mod by Frank S. There were also multiple nice tools by Christophe Mineau, including a Circle Dividing Method, a Compound Slide Angle Setting Tool, a Tool Height Gauge, and Carnauba Sticks.

brianhw - you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, Giftrocket, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

More importantly, that's win #3 for brianhw! With this win, you become our 14th 3-Time Homemade Tool of the Week winner. You're in good company joining these other 3-Time winners: rossbotics, mr95gst, Paul Jones, Christophe Mineau, immortalx, scorch, Brendon, Frank S, mklotz, Vyacheslav.Nevolya, jjr2001, olderdan, tonyfoale (all award winners are viewable here).

I've added the 3-Time graphic award icon to your postbit, under your avatar.

Here are all of your wins:

Thanks
    Brilliant idea Brian,how many times I wish I had one of those, got to make one now.

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    It seems to me that you could use a cutter insert that has lost its corners in normal use as long as there's still enough of the edge left. Makes me wish that I hadn't already recycled the ones I've broken. There will be more.

Thanks

brianhw's Tools
    Yes, sossol, the corners are not used, so your idea of keeping old inserts with worn corners is a good one.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information