Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous metalworking factory - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts

Dangerous metalworking factory - GIF

Not exactly sure what's being manufactured here. I think I'd rather be one of the people working inside a hydraulic press.

Previously:

Chinese employees working inside a hydraulic press - video
    Forging a large flange in China - video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Aug 25, 2018), nova_robotics (Aug 15, 2020), Okapi (Aug 26, 2018), PJs (Aug 27, 2018), Rangi (Sep 7, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Aug 11, 2020), Seedtick (Aug 24, 2018), Sleykin (Sep 18, 2022)

Thanks

Hemi's Tools
    I THINK thats actually how this place makes "steel coils" in bulk use. This just so happens to be what looks like 2 foot wide steel..... (I could be wrong tho!)

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Wicked long reigns on those tongs
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    No different than it was in this country 50yrs ago! People have forgotten what it’s like to work for a living. I have a 50yr old photo of my dad walking a 4 inch beam 500ft of the ground no safety lines at all! That’s the way it was back then. Some countries are behind us on safety. That’s a big reason they can make products so much cheaper than we can. I was brought up by a dad that still thought that way. If someone around him [me] tried wearing safety glasses, ear muffs, face shield, etc... he would call you a wimp! Once he and I shingled a steep roof 2-1/2 floors up with no safety equipment. I was 11yo. Sometimes I wonder how he made it to 85 and how I’m still here? It was all about personal responsibility back then. YOU were responsible for every step you made just like the guy in the above video. No one was going to give you a million dollar settlement because you slipped. Back then it was your own damn fault, deal with it

Now that I look at the old photos, it doesn’t look to be 500ft. Maybe 200? Still higher than I would ever want to do it!

Dangerous metalworking factory - GIF-7dcd9065-f28d-46fb-aa26-871900876931.jpg

Dangerous metalworking factory - GIF-548dbae7-940e-4559-8201-842cd31c58d4.jpg
    Last edited by Radioman; Aug 24, 2018 at 05:57 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Radioman For This Useful Post:

blkadder (May 25, 2019), PJs (Aug 27, 2018), Rangi (Sep 7, 2020)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    A whole lot of folks DIDN'T make it to 85, is what happened.

Between 1900-1999 the US reduced deaths from unintentional work-related accidents by 90% https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4822a1.htm

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

cognitdiss (Oct 20, 2022), Philip Davies (Sep 2, 2018), PJs (Aug 27, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Tools equipment and safety gear have made vast improvements throughout the years. Far too many implemented policies though were done by folks who have never been higher off the floor than lifting their feet up to spin in their swivel desk chair. or have never held anything in their hands more dangerous than their cup of coffee if they even still know what coffee is.
    Safety has and always begin with the person doing the work I've done the dare devil thing on occasion up high without having my fall arresting lanyard connected to anything other than my belt there were those times when it was simply the only way to get from point A to point B because of having to go around point C or D. I still have all my fingers and thumbs and both eyes because I do wear my PPE often but not all times. Wearing safety glasses when using a paint brush hammering in a 4 penny nail ?????? not going to happen sorry.
    And about the only time you will see gloves on my hands is if I am aboout to pick up something that is almost glowing red.
    Last edited by Frank S; Aug 24, 2018 at 07:21 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Rangi (Sep 7, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    There's a difference between deciding to work safely (goggles) and expecting someone else to make you whole when you do not (not wearing goggles and losing an eye).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to neilbourjaily For This Useful Post:

cognitdiss (Oct 20, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Radioman, when you were young, it WAS 500ft high.

Thanks
    I hate safety glasses,I wear them but i hat them. Iv'e had crap dug out of my eyes many times....every time I was wearing safety glasses or mask......but some how I still manage to put them on and have many sets all over the place. you just never know when big chunk or what ever will get ya... as for the vid...that looks to be hot rolled steel

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I've never had to go and have anything removed from my eyes
    And you are right you never know when that big chunk has your eyeball in its sights
    I've had to sue my eye probe magnet several times and even fold a dollar bill to flick out an offensive piece of a grinding spark always had on safety glasses and usually a shield as well when this has happened Most irritating particles I have been able to simply flush out. Do hardly ever wear safety glasses when just working because I can't see to walk around with them. SO I keep a pair hanging near every machine

Thread Information