Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Debarking logs with a pressure washer - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts

Debarking logs with a pressure washer - GIF

What's going on here? Unusually powerful pressure washer? Only works on a specific species of wood? Logs have been prepped somehow?

Regardless, this reminds me that I remain in search of a long German word that means, roughly translated:

"When you are happy to see a new way to do something, but also saddened by the realization that you have spent many years doing it the wrong way."

Previously:

Cleaning fish with pressure washer - video
    Industrial bark stripping machine - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Feb 26, 2022), rlm98253 (Nov 15, 2018), Seedtick (Nov 15, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Regardless, this reminds me that I remain in search of a long German word that means, roughly translated:

"When you are happy to see a new way to do something, but also saddened by the realization that you have spent many years doing it the wrong way."

Weltschmerz? Not quite what you want but it covers a lot of territory as many German words do.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 18, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Ach-der-vonder-metod-ich-bin-shtupinheaden. (Hyphens added for clarity. It is actually spelled without them)

Thanks
    At about .27 with the barn in the background there is a tree, apple?, in the top rt corner which looks to be in bloom. Most trees have a window of time early in the growing season when the cambium of the bark is especially weak and bark pealing is very easy. On a Hophornbeam tree (some call it iron wood) bark can be pulled in strips 12' or more up a standing tree, peal then cut down is some times easier. My boss and i try to hit this window when we harvest trees for rustic railings, ect. My guess is these trees were cut at the peak of this window for their species. Bark comes off easy but no noticable damage to the wood underneath. As some may have experienced high pressure water in too concentrated a streem will gouge wood badly. I would have to say operator is using a tip of greater than 20 deg. My 3600 psi washer with a 15 deg. tip can chew up wood real easy. When i built my log cabin i draw knifed all the logs and dreamed of removing bark this easily. Come spring I hope to get to try this. Fast n great results.
    Eric

On second look the tip appears to be a turbo tip. Zero deg that spins in about a 15 deg cone, making circles. Either the psi is turned down or a large orfice. I bought a turbo tip for my pressure washer as I thought it would be great. Turned out to have a very small orfice that can do much damage. Destroyed the radiator in our 1950 John Deere M. Never thought about the radiator being thin as it is thermo-syphon system and not pressurized. Lesson learned, the hard way. Thanks for the post
    Last edited by suther51; Nov 15, 2018 at 08:35 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suther51 For This Useful Post:

Jon (Nov 16, 2018), PJs (Nov 18, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Marv what is Welt did you not spell it write? Schmerz is probably pain.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    You must want to be a Kraut

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Paul View Post
    Marv what is Welt did you not spell it write? Schmerz is probably pain.
    "Welt" is the German word for "world". German for "write" is "schreiben", nowhere close to "Welt".

You can read more about Weltschmerz here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weltschmerz
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 18, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    looks like slash pine from forestry for housing frames etc. Guess that is somewhat more powerful than my old (now discarded) 240v 2350psi Karcher. May be a Lato.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    What's going on here? Unusually powerful pressure washer? Only works on a specific species of wood? Logs have been prepped somehow?

<video controls autoplay loop>
    <source src="https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmt-forum/debarking_logs_with_pressure_washer.mp4" type="video/mp4">
    Your browser does not support the video tag.
    </video>

Previously:

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/c...042#post100597
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/i...958#post119947
    Like to see them try that with Eucalyptus siderloxon.or a smaller tree= Sarcopteryx stipata. In Qld , we also have another tree here that pioneers called "break axe" for obvious reasons but can't remember its botanical name at the moment. The Spanish have a similar common name for one of theirs.

I've seen iron bark that the white ants ate out the centre totally but left all bark whereas they usually only leave a paper thin membrane to protect them from sunlight & preditors( wont stop echidnas though).

Thanks
    Those are White Pine logs and he's using a 3000+psi pressure washer. The key is to keep the wand moving so as not to damage the wood underneath. Works really good on the different pines, and spruces. I imagine it'd work really well on the invasive Salt Cedars, and big Mesquite trees that we have here in Arizona as well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IronPig For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 10, 2019)

Thread Information