Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Deep throat caliper

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Deep throat caliper

Originally built to measure wall thickness behind an obstruction inside a tubular workpiece, this tool has proved useful in several other awkward measuring situations. It's not something one would use daily so it's offered here as an idea to recall when you run into a difficult measurement situation.

The tool consists of an aluminum frame with two stainless rods whose extension from the frame can be adjusted. A hole in the middle of the frame allows the rods to be positioned nearer each other when that is required.

At the ends of the rods are two brass measuring probes orthogonal to the rods. Held in place by setscrews, their position relative to the rods can be adjusted as required.

The longer probe is fitted with two adjustable collars that can be used to "remember" positions of the probe.

There are numerous ways to use this tool but I'll describe only my original use as an example. The clever people who frequent this forum can probably come up with many more, and perhaps better, applications.

The longer probe was raised such that the rod with the shorter probe could be fiddled through the hole in the obstruction and brought to bear on the inner surface of the workpiece. Then the longer probe was lowered until it touched the outer surface of the workpiece.

At this point the ends of the probes are, of course, separated by the distance I wish to measure. The problem is that I now have to retract the longer probe to get the tool past the obstruction and out of the workpiece.

So, the adjustable collar is slid down to the top of the stainless rod and locked in place with its setscrew, thus remembering the probe position. The longer probe is withdrawn and the tool is withdrawn from the workpiece.

Now, by sliding the longer probe down until the collar touches the stainless rod, I can reproduce the desired measurement between the probe tips and measure it with calipers.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 8, 2017 at 12:58 PM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jan 31, 2016), kbalch (Jan 28, 2016), Paul Jones (Jan 29, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks mklotz! We've added your Deep Throat Caliper to our Calipers category, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv, I can see a lot of uses for this clever tool. I like your use of brass rods to prevent scratching the part while you "fiddled" to make the measurement. Thanks, Paul

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information