Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Delta 14 Inch Band Saw Metal Wood Variable Speed

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Delta 14 Inch Band Saw Metal Wood Variable Speed

I needed a way to cut steel, aluminum, brass, and wood with my band saw which is an older tool I have had for 30 years. The Delta is a good saw but to fast for steel. I added a 19:1 gear reducer and a 2:1 pulley setup to match up with my 6000 rpm variable speed tread mill motor. So now I have a saw that cuts just about anything you can get a blade for at just about any speed you require.

My first attempt was to use the tread mill motor with just the smallest pulley I could fit on it and use the existing drive pulley on the lower band saw wheel. The rpm reduction was not enough. I actually "threw" a tire due to over speed. The other thing was the lack of torque using the tread mill motor.

This new setup with the 19:1 ratio gear box solved both problems.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Delta 14 Inch Band Saw Metal Wood Variable Speed-dscf0005.jpg   Delta 14 Inch Band Saw Metal Wood Variable Speed-dscf0002.jpg   Delta 14 Inch Band Saw Metal Wood Variable Speed-dscf0003.jpg   Delta 14 Inch Band Saw Metal Wood Variable Speed-dscf0004.jpg   Delta 14 Inch Band Saw Metal Wood Variable Speed-dscf0001.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by jjr2001; Aug 28, 2016 at 10:52 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Jon (Sep 1, 2016), Paul Jones (Sep 1, 2016), PJs (Aug 29, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 29, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Variable Speed Bandsaw Modification to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Wmrra13 (Sep 1, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    JR,
    I love the way this came together and able to get the maximum use out of your Delta bandsaw using the tread mill motor and gear box. Where did you get the 19:1 gear reducer? Also, your final paint job makes it look like it came this way from the factory .

I too have been using the Power Twist V-Belts along with cylindrical vibration isolators installed on the motor mounting bolts to produce an almost vibration free motor to pulley drive systems (see an example at http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/1...chniques-19914 ). The Power Twist V-Belts have reduced the noise level of my woodworking and metal working machinery significantly and reduced the overall vibration transmitted to the work.

Thank you for showing how you did this. You have created some pretty cool tools for your shop.

Regards,
    Paul

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 2, 2016), Wmrra13 (Sep 1, 2016)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Thanks Paul,
    I purchased the gear reducer on eBay a few years back. The prices on these really have a wide range. This one was new and I think it was only $50 but I have seen used ones for much more. The Power twist V-belts are my favorite. I have them on my table saw as well and should put them on my drill press. I think I see another small project in the wings!
    I like the motor mounts from Zorro. I think my bench grinder could use a set of them.

Cheers, John

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 2, 2016)

Thanks

Wmrra13's Tools
    John;

Very nice execution!

Using treadmill motors to get variable speed for shop tools has always intrigued me but, having used a few of them in gyms, it seems the controls are always complicated and slow reacting. As such, I always wonder about the interface and the ability to just walk up to the machine, turn it on and start cutting. Can you please show us the control panel you're using and/or if you have any of those issues?

Thanks,
    Tyler

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Hello Tyler,

The controls for this one are very simple. The motor and speed controller were a match set sold surplus. I think it is rated at 2.5 hp and runs up to 6000 rpm. No digital controls at all. This must have been from an early and simple tread mill. I think the motor shaft is 5/8" in diameter. The motor required a custom "motor mount" that I made for the motor and electronic control board. I added a fan to that for cooling the motor and circuit board.
    There are only two controls. A pot for speed control and a switch for on/off. The pot must be brought to zero with the switch in the off position before the motor will start. Once the switch is placed to on, then you simply advance the speed control pot and she ramps up to full speed in about 15 seconds. You can adjust the pot to any speed you need. The motor does not have a lot of torque but with my gear reduction it powers through steel without bogging down.

Cheers, John

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 2, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Sep 29, 2016)

Thread Information