Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Demagnetizer

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Don42's Tools

Demagnetizer

Small hand tools like screwdrives and tweezers sometimes get magnetized. That can sometimes be useful, but other times a nuisance. I made a demagnetizer out of a soldering gun -- and the soldering gun can also be quickly restored to its original purpose.

I made a three-turn coil out of 6 gage solid copper ground wire, which is sold by the foot at Home Depot. I wound the wire around a 3/4" dia piece of cold roll to use as a mandrel. I made two nuts (7/16 x 14tpi) out of brass, with holes thru them. The holes are bigger than the original nuts; I made them 0.228" (#1 drill) to comfortably clear the .204" dia copper wire. I also made little washers to silver-braze on the ends of the coil so the nuts could hold the coil in the soldering gun.

Demagnetizer-coil_with_nuts_and_stops.jpg

Demagnetizer-demagnetizer.jpg

That's all there is to it! Insert the tool (screwdriver, whatever) into the coil, pull the trigger on the soldering gun and slowly withdraw the tool. You'll notice that the coil's magnetic field exerts a fairly strong attraction to a ferromagnetic object within it. When the tool is well clear of the coil, release the trigger. Best not to hold it down too long because the coil will get quite hot fairly quickly. It can also re-magnitize tools. Insert tool into coil, pull trigger and release. Test for magnetism. The trigger must be released when the 60 Hz line voltage is near its peak. That's trial and error but it never takes more than a few tries.

I did some measurements. The current flowing thru that coil is 990 amps!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Don42; Aug 26, 2018 at 02:43 PM. Reason: new info

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Don42 For This Useful Post:

12L14 (Jul 31, 2019), 4evrdrmn (Aug 27, 2018), almarghi (Aug 27, 2018), jimfols (Jan 1, 2019), J_P (Aug 31, 2018), katy (Aug 12, 2021), KickStart (Jan 2, 2019), KustomsbyKent (May 9, 2019), Manitoba Man (Aug 13, 2021), mklotz (Aug 26, 2018), mr_modify1 (Jun 17, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Aug 11, 2021), Paul Jones (Aug 15, 2021), PJs (Aug 28, 2018), rlm98253 (Jan 1, 2019), rossbotics (Aug 25, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (May 3, 2019), Seedtick (Aug 27, 2018), suther51 (Aug 27, 2018), that_other_guy (Aug 27, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Don42! We've added your Demagnetizer to our Electrical category,
    as well as to your builder page: Don42's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

paulk's Tools
    Slick!! I need to magnetize a dipstick. This should work great. Paulk

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Don42 View Post
    Small hand tools like screwdrives and tweezers sometimes get magnetized. That can sometimes be useful, but other times a nuisance. I made a demagnetizer out of a soldering gun -- and the soldering gun can also be quickly restored to its original purpose.

I made a three-turn coil out of 6 gage solid copper ground wire, which is sold by the foot at Home Depot. I wound the wire around a 3/4" dia piece of cold roll to use as a mandrel. I made two nuts (7/16 x 14tpi) out of brass, with holes thru them. The holes are bigger than the original nuts; I made them 0.228" (#1 drill) to comfortably clear the .204" dia copper wire. I also made little washers to silver-braze on the ends of the coil so the nuts could hold the coil in the soldering gun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coil_with_nuts_and_stops.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	25268

Name:	demagnetizer.jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	25269

That's all there is to it! Insert the tool (screwdriver, whatever) into the coil, pull the trigger on the soldering gun and slowly withdraw the tool. You'll notice that the coil's magnetic field exerts a fairly strong attraction to a ferromagnetic object within it. When the tool is well clear of the coil, release the trigger. Best not to hold it down too long because the coil will get quite hot fairly quickly. It can also re-magnitize tools. Insert tool into coil, pull trigger and release. Test for magnetism. The trigger must be released when the 60 Hz line voltage is near its peak. That's trial and error but it never takes more than a few tries.

Very Interesting!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don42 View Post

Name:	coil_with_nuts_and_stops.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	25268

Name:	demagnetizer.jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	25269

just for your information. You can get brake line tubing nuts that have a 7/16-14 thread.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 11thhourfabrication For This Useful Post:

Tooler2 (May 4, 2019)

Supporting Member thevillageinn's Avatar
    Thanks

thevillageinn's Tools
    Thanks for the inspiration! I made a similar coil for my soldering gun which has taken care of the fine steel swarf from filing and grinding from hanging on my screwdrivers. I didn't have any copper as heavy as yours but I had some 12ga which I twisted together and bent to fit.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Don42's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thevillageinn View Post
    Thanks for the inspiration! I made a similar coil for my soldering gun which has taken care of the fine steel swarf from filing and grinding from hanging on my screwdrivers. I didn't have any copper as heavy as yours but I had some 12ga which I twisted together and bent to fit.
    Glad it's working for you. Swarf on tools can be a real nuisance!

Thanks

mr_modify1's Tools
    Nice job great idea.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information