Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Depth gage improvements

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Depth gage improvements

If one makes small parts, one needs a lot of specialty depth gauges - at least I seem to:

The one in the foreground (after a design by Elmer Verburg) is especially handy.
    By moving the lock screw well away from the measuring plate, it's easy to lock in a measurement when the measuring plate is deep down in some inaccessible cavity of a part.

However, I've developed another variation of this that works well in more conventional designs. On my gauges, the rod is secured by a pin which passes through the gauge body and captures the rod. This pin is threaded on one end to accept the knurled lock screw. On the other end I form a button a bit larger than the rod. Before drilling the hole for the rod, I assemble the rod into the body with a couple of washers holding the button proud of the body. The lock screw holds this assembly together as I drill the rod hole.

After drilling the rod hole, the washers are removed. Now, when working in cramped quarters, merely pressing on the button will lock in the measurement until the gauge can be withdrawn and the knurled lock screw tightened.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 7, 2017 at 07:59 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

57_210 (Mar 14, 2023), kbalch (Sep 4, 2015), Moby Duck (Mar 23, 2017), Paul Jones (Mar 23, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanks Marv! I've added your Depth Gauge Improvement to our Height and Depth Gauges category, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information