Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Dial Indicator Attachment

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Also doing part off work on my 10X20 bench lathe was impossible, until I procured a 2" plate that it is now bolted too. It used to "walk" on the floor with very light parting operations. It never came with a mounting stand. Then 25 years ago, I purchased a stand from harbor freight intended for their 12x32 lathe. It was 2 sheet metal rectangle boxes with a sheet metal web between. I trimmed the web to length for my shorter lathe. But with any parting cut, the lathe would go into harmonic oscillation. I played with the cutter. Procured other cutters. Never could get a problem free parting to be realized. The 2" thick steel plate fixed this. If I would have made a weldment stand, and bolted it to the floor, that would have fixed this as well.
    Steve
    Parting off is often problematic for small lathe users. Some suggestions...

Make the tool dead sharp with sufficient relief

Ensure the tool is perpendicular to the lathe axis and on center

Use a lubricant - kerosene for aluminum, sulfurated cutting oil for steel, nothing for brass or cast iron

An improvised lubricant feeder like my...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/p...ff-oiler-27738

can provide a steady supply of lubricant

Keep the speed on the low side

If you grind the tip of the tool so that the right corner projects just slightly more than the left, then the burr that exists when the workpiece falls off will be on the stock and not the workpiece. Drive the tool in a tiny bit more and the burr will be cut off the stock.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (May 11, 2017)

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Some more thoughts on thumbscrews.

Knurled screws are attractive but can be uncomfortable if they must be gripped tightly to do their job. If only for occasional, delicate adjustments, like a micrometer barrel, they're fine but for frequent adjustments requiring a firm grip (e.g. the handles on a threading die stock) they can be uncomfortable.

One solution is to run a file over the knurls after they've been formed. This will knock the tops off the little pyramids that form the knurl and make it more comfortable to handle.

For beefier stuff I prefer fluting. It provides a firm grip and is much easier on the hands. An example is my tripod quick release handle...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/t...-release-27215

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (May 11, 2017)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Marv, re: "grind the tip of the tool so that the right corner projects just slightly more than the left, then the burr that exists when the workpiece falls off will be on the stock and not the workpiece"

Why not just the opposite then there is no burr to remove?
    Ralph

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Parting off is often problematic for small lathe users. Some suggestions...
    <snip>
    I recall Tee-Nut saying that the parting operation should sound like bacon frying. When the machine don't dance on the floor, you can really hear that.
    Last edited by metric_taper; May 11, 2017 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Ralph,

it's generally accepted that the piece you've just parted off will be difficult to rechuck, so making that piece not have the pip is good practise - the remaining stock (still in the chuck) can then be refaced and the pip from the parting removed.

there is generally a pip because of the angled grind of the parting tool (causing the chip to curl), or due to the piece breaking away once the diameter is reduced enough

Des

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post
    Marv, re: "grind the tip of the tool so that the right corner projects just slightly more than the left, then the burr that exists when the workpiece falls off will be on the stock and not the workpiece"

Ralph
    Last edited by desbromilow; May 12, 2017 at 02:47 AM.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post

Let me try to explain a bit more clearly, Ralph.

When parting there is almost always a burr generated when the part is freed from the parent material, even with a squarely ground tool. As the cut approaches the center the remaining material gets thinner and thinner, thus weaker and weaker. At some point before the cut is completed, the material is so weak that it fractures before the cut can be completed, thus leaving the burr, material that didn't have a chance to be cut before the fracture occurred.

If the burr is on the part, it can be awkward to remove, perhaps necessitating rechucking. If the burr is left on the stock, it can be removed easily by simply turning the tool a bit farther until it cuts to center.

By grinding the tool with a right-hand leading edge, the part will be cut loose before the remaining stock at the stock side of the cut gets weak enough to fracture, thus assuring that the burr is left on the stock.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Congratulations rossbotics - your Dial Indicator Attachment is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Another strong week, with a rare two-in-a-row win for rossbotics after last week's Tilting Dividing Fixture Homemade Tool of the Week by rossbotics. rossbotics joins three other tool builders who have also won Homemade Tool of the Week in back-to-back weeks:

Brendon - Marking Gauge on 7/17/15 followed by Dovetailing Bench on 7/24/15.

mklotz - Bench Block Enhancements on 5/27/16 followed by Model Cement Mixer on 6/3/16.

tonyfoale - Horizontal Milling Machine on 12/23/16 followed by Drum Brake Grinder on 12/30/16.

Like the Superbowl, nobody has ever won three in a row.

Some nice picks from this week: a Shop Air Cleaner by mr95gst, a Powered X-Axis by bobs409, a Tube Notching Method by Tuomas, a Clamp Plate Forming Tool by KustomsbyKent, and a Hardware Storage Unit by bobs409. There were three good builds by Frank S - Alignment and Distance Tool, Backhoe Receiver Hitch, and a Drill Bit Extension. And, we also saw a nice Rotating Tail Stock Chuck by jjr2001, who is rapidly climbing the Top Builders List with 118 total homemade tools.

rossbotics - you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

That's win #15 for rossbotics! Here are all of your wins:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

rossbotics (Dec 1, 2017)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    I understand, I was thinking the fall off piece is just waste, the part left on the lathe was the work piece.

Of course I am brand brand new to machining so I have not even done a project on my lathe yet.

Ralph

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Congratulations, Doug; very well deserved.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Thank You Very Much, Marv
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber