Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial

Doug's fixture is perfect for anyone needing to engrave graduations and stamp numbers on round dials.
    For my use all I needed was the Stamping features of his fixture. I already had the lines engraved on my dials.
    My shop uses small machines and I thought it would be a long process to bore out the main block of the tool
    as Doug did. So I decided to piece it together from flat stock. I also thought I would use some 2.5" diameter
    hot rolled steel for the spindle. (should have just bought the DOM as Doug states in his parts list!).

The pictures show most of the steps in the construction and how the main block was made.
    The spindle was bored half way and then swapped end for end in the lathe since my little boring bar does
    not like going past 4". I was surprised to find very close alignment of the inside bore since it had to be re-indicated
    but I was using a 4 jaw chuck so that was easy.

The collet draw bar was also made from hot rolled steel and then threaded per plans.
    I used a tommy bar for the draw bar instead of making a spanner wrench.
    5/8-16 allen cap screws provide the fastening for all connections.

Another part that was pieced is the tool holder. Had some cold rolled on hand so I used that and
    connected the vertical to the horizontal parts with 10-32 allen cap screws.

The bearings. Well I had a pair of used bearings as specified on the plans and since I was going to be
    using a hammer to do the stamping I just used them. They work fine since I don't really need grease or oil
    on them. However I did order two bearings on line that are new with seals just in case these bearings give out!

Doug's plans are here:
    Homemade Dial Making Fixture - HomemadeTools.net

Over all the project was a nice addition to my shop and will find use in the future.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2215.jpg   Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2216.jpg   Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2217.jpg   Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2222.jpg   Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2154.jpg  

Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2155.jpg   Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2156.jpg   Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2157.jpg   Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2158.jpg   Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2159.jpg  

Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2160.jpg   Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2161.jpg   Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2163.jpg   Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2165.jpg   Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2166.jpg  

Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2172.jpg   Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2173.jpg   Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2175.jpg   Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2176.jpg   Dial Making Fixture Based on Rossbotics Plans For Stamping Figures on the Dial-img_2184.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

allenz (Dec 25, 2018), Corm (Dec 21, 2018), high-side (Dec 20, 2018), Home-PC (Dec 10, 2020), Jon (Dec 20, 2018), Metallurg33 (Dec 24, 2018), Miloslav (Mar 13, 2019), Okapi (Dec 21, 2018), Paul Jones (Dec 20, 2018), PJs (Dec 22, 2018), rossbotics (Dec 19, 2018), Seedtick (Dec 20, 2018), Tonyg (Mar 14, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    That's fantastic Jr.
    I like to see people use their imagination, nothing wrong with that my man, great work Jr. awesome.

Doug

2000 Tool Plans
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Dec 20, 2018), PJs (Dec 22, 2018)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Thanks Doug, I liked this fixture a lot since stamping on a round surface is
    extremely hard to get good results and your design and plans are just the ticket.

Cheers, JR

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Excellent! Since you posted a build from plans from this site, you're welcome to another set of free plans of your choice. Let me know which ones you want and I'll send them over to you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Dec 21, 2018)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Thanks Jon, I am looking at the plans section now!

Cheers, JR

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Dial Making Fixture to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Dec 26, 2018)

Thread Information