Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Digital or dial indicator on height gauge

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    I though of cutting it into two as one end is the bolt and nut and the other end is tapped but sure as I do, the very same afternoon I'll be sorry.
    Guaranteed.
    Why not just make a shorter one, easy enough, then there'll be no tears.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Yup, my conclusion exactly. Can never have too many adapters.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    <snip>

For me the idea of trying to mount by the stem is daunting because I've got a couple of Starretts, a Federal, a Mititoyou ,a B&S a couple of "made in Switzerlands" and they are all different. But the lugs aren't. And they are all in inches I don't have anything metric, yet.

<snip>
    My recent work with measuring the taper of my lathe spindle drove me to purchasing the Noga as it has the stem clamp.
    Noga which let me see the indicator during the sweep of the spindle taper:
    Digital or dial indicator on height gauge-2017-03-29-noga-indicator-holder-002.jpg

This was the previous attempt, so I made this tool with a 3/8 hole for the AGD indicator, but a metric round end for my existing mag base.
    Digital or dial indicator on height gauge-2017-03-27-3eighths-adapter-ebay-order-angles-038.jpg

This made reading the indicator during the sweep difficult. That damn snug in the way. But real problem was the cheap holder, which was too compliant, and as the indicator spring forces increased, the compliance produced measurement error. This indicator only has 2.5mm of travel. It's a bastard AGD-1 but metric reading (Federal brand green dial indicates metric). It does not have a lug on the back, but that mount would not work for this use.
    Digital or dial indicator on height gauge-2017-03-27-3eighths-adapter-ebay-order-angles-047.jpg

I learned a few things, I found a youtube video of a guy in Australia that was regrinding his mag bases as his complaint was every one would 'rock' on a surface plate. I also had this problem, as mine were from the same manufacturing location (and low cost, ~$12). For simple runout measurements, it's all relative but make a absolute measurement where you need to know the error, and I found cheap to be avoided. So I splurged on the Noga (could buy 5-10 China imports for it's cost). But they only sell AGD Noga in USA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Digital or dial indicator on height gauge-2017-03-27-3eighths-adapter-ebay-order-angles-056.jpg  

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metric_taper For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Apr 27, 2017), Paul Jones (Apr 29, 2017)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    I see where you're coming from now, that totally makes sense and the lug is not going to work at all. You're right also about the cheapo HFT mag base rocking. My old Central doesn't. Gofiggur. I've looked several times at a real Noga and my wallet just can't seem to be open to the idea. But precision isn't cheap.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    I see where you're coming from now, that totally makes sense and the lug is not going to work at all. You're right also about the cheapo HFT mag base rocking. My old Central doesn't. Gofiggur. I've looked several times at a real Noga and my wallet just can't seem to be open to the idea. But precision isn't cheap.
    I finally got so discussed with my China import holder, and seeing the many reviews on youtube with extreme positive Noga, eBay had best prices $98 for DG10533. The bottom zero is worth every penny. And using it the first time to measure the taper of the lathe spindle made me a believer. I'm trying to find the same size equivalent but European standard DG10503, but the price I'm seeing is $228, too much for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    I noticed that the original video link was broken. So I have uploaded a new video which can be found at;

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (May 4, 2018)

Thread Information