Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Disarming WW2 German mine - video

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,706 Times in 9,871 Posts

Disarming a WW2 German mine - video

An old video showing Royal Navy personnel disarming a German naval mine that washed up on Britain's east coast during World War II.

Previously:

1941 explosion of HMS Barham battleship - GIF and photo
    Propane tank controlled explosion test - video
    Perfect controlled demolition of twin chimneys - video
    Huge mine blast - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Altair; Mar 2, 2019 at 11:59 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Mar 5, 2019), baja (Mar 5, 2019), durrelltn (Apr 12, 2022), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 27, 2019), tuchie (Aug 19, 2023), Tule (Mar 5, 2019)

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Had a friend who was an RN Clearance Diver in the 1950’s and did a lot of this sort of work around the British coast. Said it wasn’t as dangerous as you might think. They had the blueprints of all mines and normally they removed a particular cover or plug and simply steamed out the charge to neutralise it. The best part of this story is that most of the call outs they had were not actually mines. They were just bits of steel half buried in the sand, and many were only man hole covers from storm water drains. If they were near small towns, no matter what it was on the beach, they cordoned off the area, evacuated nearby personnel and went about their work, often detonating a small explosive charge when they finished. They became instant Naval heroes in the eyes of the locals, free food, free beer and all of the local girls competed for their affections. Claimed it was the best job he ever had. (Still dangerous work in my eyes).

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    Claimed it was the best job he ever had. (Still dangerous work in my eyes).
    Even if the 99% of them are diffused or are false alarms, it still takes balls bigger than the mines. That 1% could end their existence, yet they go, every time.

Neil

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Mar 27, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sossol View Post
    Even if the 99% of them are diffused or are false alarms, it still takes balls bigger than the mines. That 1% could end their existence, yet they go, every time.

Neil
    That's a fact. Pretty scarey. I used to live at sunrise beach SEQ and a couple of times neighbours were evacuated because of someone digging in the sand in their backyard and finding unexploded ordinances. I was told it was an unofficial training ground for the allies. old time stuff & I take my hat off to those disarmourment guys due to the risks.

Didn't get my socks blown off but a neighbour was lucky to live when he welded a vessel fuel tank.I thought boiler makers & such took precautions when welding. The anchor was found blocks away after crashing through a roof, and everyone escaped injury. Needless to say, it is still dangerous with any very explosive materials.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information