Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Disc Sander

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools

Disc Sander

These plans include:

• A 72-page PDF instruction manual.
    • Dozens of technical (ANSI) drawings and color photographs.
    • Table of tools needed.
    • Bills of Materials.
    • Table of Contents.
    • Index.
    • List of Purchased Parts with Suggested Vendor & Part Number.
    • Lots more....

Feel free to post any questions you may have in this discussion, either before you purchase, during construction, or post pictures of your finished disc sander.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nhengineer For This Useful Post:

barsyl4041@netzero.net (Feb 24, 2017), PJs (May 7, 2018), Seedtick (Sep 26, 2017)

Thanks
    This looks like a very substantial,easy to build with or without welding

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by barsyl4041@netzero.net View Post
    This looks like a very substantial,easy to build with or without welding
    Thank you Barsyl4041. Any questions?

Thanks

Wmrra13's Tools
    Nice work!

Why not make it direct drive?
    With the pulley sizes in the illustration it looks like this will be spinning very fast.
    Approx 5,000 RPM with a 4 pole motor?

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Wmrra13 View Post
    Nice work!
    Thank you.

It would have been too long for my shop. I have lot and lots of vertical room but not so much lateral room. A guy in Australia made one from my plans but it was free standing. I wish I'd thought of that.

With the pulley sizes in the illustration it looks like this will be spinning very fast.
    Approx 5,000 RPM with a 4 pole motor?
    Aprox 6000 RPM. Pulley size is not cast in concrete though. The builder can use whatever pair of pulleys he or she is comfortable with. The rigid disc I am now using (rather than a paper one) is rated for 6000 RPM so I set up my pulleys to get that speed. I had originally intended it for a rigid disc but a friend and co-conspirator (Colin) expressed concern that if one of those detonated we'd all be killed. After a month or so of changing paper discs, I'd had enough and switched to a rigid disc. That was in 2012 and the original one is still in use today. I'm keeping close tabs on it but, even If it detonates, the shield is made of really heavy stock and will contain the debris.

Thanks

Wmrra13's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nhengineer View Post
    Nice work!
    Thank you.

It would have been too long for my shop. I have lot and lots of vertical room but not so much lateral room. A guy in Australia made one from my plans but it was free standing. I wish I'd thought of that.

Aprox 6000 RPM. Pulley size is not cast in concrete though. The builder can use whatever pair of pulleys he or she is comfortable with. The rigid disc I am now using (rather than a paper one) is rated for 6000 RPM so I set up my pulleys to get that speed. I had originally intended it for a rigid disc but a friend and co-conspirator (Colin) expressed concern that if one of those detonated we'd all be killed. After a month or so of changing paper discs, I'd had enough and switched to a rigid disc. That was in 2012 and the original one is still in use today. I'm keeping close tabs on it but, even If it detonates, the shield is made of really heavy stock and will contain the debris.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Does 6k rpm seem fast? What diameter is the disc?

Also, please tell me more about the rigid disc, that's very interesting to me. I tried to google them but it defaults to the brand Ridgid and they are paper, and far from rigid.

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    [QUOTE=Wmrra13;87713]
    Quote Originally Posted by nhengineer View Post
    Nice work!
    Thank you.

Thanks for the explanation.

Does 6k rpm seem fast? What diameter is the disc?

Also, please tell me more about the rigid disc, that's very interesting to me. I tried to google them but it defaults to the brand Ridgid and they are paper, and far from rigid.
    This one is from Zozo Tools ( https://www.zoro.com/dewalt-depresse...33/i/G2891874/ ). Good company.

I 'believe' the 9" is rated for 6,000 max but the graphic is too blurry to read. Nope, down below is written 6,600 RPM MAX. Graniger has a 9" disc on clearance for $8.50 ( https://www.grainger.com/product/DEW...epressed-5TU42 ).

Thanks

Wmrra13's Tools
    Now I get it, those are what we'd consider grinding wheels/discs. I never thought to use one like that as a "sanding disc", that's a pretty good idea.

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    Now I get it, those are what we'd consider grinding wheels/discs. I never thought to use one like that as a "sanding disc", that's a pretty good idea.
    Yup but it can be tricky using them for sanding with a hand grinder. With a stationary grinder/sander you have much more control since you're moving the work, not the abrasive. The old German (Fritz O. Best) that I apprenticed for drilled into my head NOT to leave burrs and sharp edges on my work; and I do mean drilled. He was a real hard-ass but most often right especially with sharp edges. So for all the years afterwards I have been conscious of the hazard of cutting myself of, worse yet, a customer (or the shop inspector). Breaking a sharp corner on a small piece with a 9" grinder is a real challenge. That's the reason for my disc sander project.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nhengineer For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 7, 2018), Wmrra13 (Feb 26, 2017)

Supporting Member editor@glue-it.com's Avatar
    Thanks

editor@glue-it.com's Tools
    1400rpm direct drive works really well and I made the basic structure with MDF, plywood would work well in it's place:
    Sanding Disc – glue-it.com

Disc Sander-sanding-disk-01.jpg This is 6" and must admit that even with this you have to be careful not to burn the wood. I really wouldn't want to go much faster than 1400rpm. Have used this for a number of years now and it has served me well. I've put more images on my website to help with the design, but you will need to size the basic structure for the motor you have and the disc size. The motor is 300W and if you use it hard it is still possible to stall it with just a 6" disc. I've also added a link to a supplier of the sticky backed discs in the UK
    Last edited by editor@glue-it.com; Jun 18, 2017 at 04:34 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to editor@glue-it.com For This Useful Post:

Youngblood (Jun 2, 2018)

Thread Information