Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: DIY 52" Rolling Tool Cabinet under $60

Thanks

DIY 52" Rolling Tool Cabinet under $60

With more time than money, I can get pretty creative for cheap. I am building this 52" rolling tool cabinet and just about have it ready to finalize. It started life as a Datamation Cart and a Steelcase Lateral File Cabinet that I picked up at auction for $40 and $15 respectively.

I started out by drilling the spot welds from the inner supports on the file cabinet that hold the drawer slides in place. Then I removed all the shelving from the data cart and cut the slide supports to fit inside. The file cabinet had 12" high drawers, I used one 12" for the bottom, then cut one in half for a 6" drawer. Next, I cut three drawers down to 4" to fill in the rest. After finishing the drawers, I cut the doors to fit them, excuse the hammer dings, I had to hammer and dolly all the edges since I do not have a box brake and I got lazy on the last few. Lastly, I cut the remaining door to fit the right side as an extra storage compartment. I plan to add at least one shelf in the right side before I finish.

This is where I am at now, I still have to weld everything in place, get a wheel(1 was damaged), finish the body work and paint it, then add the wood top I have for it. Drawer Dimensions: (1) 12"x 40"x 18" (1) 6"x 40"x 18" and (3) 4"x 40"x 18", side cabinet 8"x 18"x 30"h. The drawers are rated at 150lbs spread evenly and have some sweet heavy duty ball bearing sliders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY 52" Rolling Tool Cabinet under -pic960.jpg   DIY 52" Rolling Tool Cabinet under -pic961.jpg   DIY 52" Rolling Tool Cabinet under -pic963.jpg   DIY 52" Rolling Tool Cabinet under -pic964.jpg   DIY 52" Rolling Tool Cabinet under -pic965.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nine4gmc For This Useful Post:

Jon (Mar 22, 2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nine4gmc View Post
    With more time than money, I can get pretty creative for cheap. I am building this 52" rolling tool cabinet and just about have it ready to finalize. It started life as a Datamation Cart and a Steelcase Lateral File Cabinet that I picked up at auction for $40 and $15 respectively.

I started out by drilling the spot welds from the inner supports on the file cabinet that hold the drawer slides in place. Then I removed all the shelving from the data cart and cut the slide supports to fit inside. The file cabinet had 12" high drawers, I used one 12" for the bottom, then cut one in half for a 6" drawer. Next, I cut three drawers down to 4" to fill in the rest. After finishing the drawers, I cut the doors to fit them, excuse the hammer dings, I had to hammer and dolly all the edges since I do not have a box brake and I got lazy on the last few. Lastly, I cut the remaining door to fit the right side as an extra storage compartment. I plan to add at least one shelf in the right side before I finish.

This is where I am at now, I still have to weld everything in place, get a wheel(1 was damaged), finish the body work and paint it, then add the wood top I have for it. Drawer Dimensions: (1) 12"x 40"x 18" (1) 6"x 40"x 18" and (3) 4"x 40"x 18", side cabinet 8"x 18"x 30"h. The drawers are rated at 150lbs spread evenly and have some sweet heavy duty ball bearing sliders.
    Very Nice !

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanks Old Fool!

More pics from the other day, no update today, will probably do something this weekend on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY 52" Rolling Tool Cabinet under -pic966.jpg   DIY 52" Rolling Tool Cabinet under -pic967.jpg   DIY 52" Rolling Tool Cabinet under -pic968.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information