Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: DIY CNC Tubing Bender

Thanks

jofriedl's Tools

DIY CNC Tubing Bender

Hi,

Just joined the forum here to share a recent project of mine. A couple of weeks ago I had a large fabrication order come through our shop that required a cnc bender. I've had a JD Squared model 32 manual bender for years but I didn't have the cash to upgrade to a full on Baileigh CNC model or the equivalent. So, I designed a fairly easy CNC Hydraulic conversion for the Model 32. I know lots of DIY guys out there have this bender and wouldn't mind upgrading to a CNC hydraulic set up so I'm considering putting together plans and possibly kits depending on interest.

The video below is an episode from my shop/blog youtube channel and covers the overall design, among other things. Take a look if you're interested. Thanks for watching.

Jonathon

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jofriedl For This Useful Post:

Jon (Apr 2, 2017), rlm98253 (Apr 2, 2017)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    and where is/was the CNC? Nice project, liked your robot plasma cutter and the bender.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Nice vidéo, please post next vidéos concerning CNC upgrade for the tube bender

Thanks

jofriedl's Tools
    The CNC in the title refers to the bender. You simply punch the desired angle into the HMI, hit the green button and the computer (PLC) opens the hydraulic solenoid. An encoder sends a signal to the PLC that enables the PLC to read the current angle. When the bender reaches the correct angle, it stops.

jonathon

Thanks
    Pretty bitchen jonathon. I'd be interested in a parts list. I have a model 4 jd2 hydraulic tubing bender. I've always wanted to modify to do cnc bending. I have a 5' x 10' cnc plasma table and 2 cnc router tables. One with a 24" z axis. I travel the country based out of Hollywood working for the motion picture industry. Do you account for spring back in the tube. I wonder if there is a formula for the size and/or diameter of the tube and wall thickness to calculate the over degree bending to achieve a accurate bend. I'd be interested in a parts list if you ever put one together. Maybe I'd buy a jd2 model 3 just for a cnc bender.
    Last edited by Movieindustrywelder; Apr 2, 2017 at 09:46 PM.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks jofriedl! We've added your CNC Tube Bender to our Tube Benders category,
    as well as to your builder page: jofriedl's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Very,very cool I would be interested in purchasing parts or plans for your cnc JD 32 tube bender. Add me to your list if you come up with a plans.
    You are a very talented fellow

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information