Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: dog back scratcher

Thanks

ranald's Tools

dog back scratcher

This started out (about 1975) to be a finger comb for a universal dovetailing jig. The sales guy at the tool store tolm me I could get any size guide bushing to suit my Makita & Hitachi & B & D routers. I set about making this comb from marine ply (I have since scavanged a piece of the back) & the comb size was 6mm. I've carted it around all those years thinking I would "use one day". Even today companies like Leigh dont make one that small.

For a number of years I overthought the dog scratcher looking at ways to spring load it and pressureize the up/down. I tried it manually & both our old dog & younger (about 6 y.o.) liked the scratching so I mounted it on an out door picnic table after routing a couple of slots for vertical adjustment. It became "just do it".

At first I didn't see them using it but noticed that the Jack Russell wasn't rolling around on his back on gravel & concrete. I checked the fixed scratcher which revealed hair=presto he WAS using it. I then saw the poodle x maltese using but every time I grabbed my camera she had finished/was finishing her scratchas in the pic.

If I make another I would try 8 or 12 mm & the precision of the first would not be necessary for a scratcher. It could be easily done on a router table or tablesaw or with hand tools. The fingers would not need to be so long either but are useful for vertical adjustment though dogs will arch if a little low. dog back scratcher-rsz_dsc_0799.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

PJs (Feb 5, 2019), Seedtick (Feb 4, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks ranald! We've added your Dog Back Scratcher to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: ranald's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information