Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A double edged fly cutter.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools

A double edged fly cutter.

A while back there was a thread on fly cutters, but I can't find it now. I didn't start the thread but I mentioned my use of multiple cutters and preference for inertia. I have just needed to use one of my fly cutters and had a camera handy, so here is a full description with pix.

Firstly I needed a substantial mounting method for the heavy rotor containing the cutting tools. An R8 to 100 mm chuck mounting flange was ideal, these are cheap and it saved me a lot of work.

A double edged fly cutter.-flycutter-01.jpg A double edged fly cutter.-flycutter-02.jpg

The R8 to chuck mounting flange.

This has a 72 mm diameter spigot for location and three holes for M8 mounting bolts. The rotor was made from an old chuck plate which gives plenty of the inertia which I regard as important for fly cutters. It was faced off, drilled and tapped for mounting and a register bored to suit the spigot on the mounting plate. Two opposing holes were drilled to take 0.25" tool blanks, holes were drilled and tapped M6 at 90 deg. to take grub screws to hold the tools. This allows me easy depth of cut adjustment, and the circular tools allow rotational adjustment to change the rake angle for different work piece material. I have a choice of grinding tools from HSS blanks or more usually I grind the tools from old 0.25" carbide milling cutters.

A double edged fly cutter.-flycutter-03.jpg A double edged fly cutter.-flycutter-04.jpg

On the left is the base rotor, 190 mm diameter. There are a few surplus holes, a legacy of its prior use. To the right is the complete assembly.

A double edged fly cutter.-flycutter-05.jpg

The assembly mounted on my static crankshaft balancer. I think that I have described that in a prior posting.

Now we come to the reason for the two cutting tools. One is set at a slightly greater radius, about 6 mm, than the other. The tool at the larger radius will hit the work first on each revolution followed by the second tool. I set the first tool at a height suitable for a roughing cut and the second tool gets set an amount lower to act as a finishing cut. In effect this gives me two passes in one. Each tool can be ground differently to suit the different needs of roughing and finishing.

A double edged fly cutter.-flycutter-06.jpg

Here we can see the two surfaces made by each tool in turn. In this case the second cutter was set about 0.5 mm deeper than the first for demonstration purposes. In reality one would take a shallower finishing cut.

Alternatively, both tools could be set such that each removes a similar depth of material, this allows the fly cutter to take double the material in a single pass as compared to a single tool cutter.

This video shows the setting procedure and a demonstration work piece cut.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by tonyfoale; Oct 8, 2017 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Added video link

2. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Aug 26, 2020), aphilipmarcou (Oct 15, 2017), asterix (Oct 30, 2022), bigtrev8xl (Mar 21, 2018), Carlos B (Oct 8, 2017), Cascao (Oct 9, 2017), Christophe Mineau (Oct 10, 2017), Eaglewood (Aug 25, 2020), flyfr8rs (Nov 2, 2022), JDrouin (Apr 29, 2020), Jon (Oct 8, 2017), JRock (Nov 8, 2018), Kevic (Jul 20, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Oct 9, 2017), marksbug (Aug 25, 2020), Moby Duck (Oct 9, 2017), mudnducs (Oct 10, 2017), mwmkravchenko (Aug 26, 2020), nova_robotics (Aug 25, 2020), Okapi (Oct 13, 2017), olderdan (Oct 9, 2017), Papa Bill (Oct 15, 2017), Paul Jones (Oct 14, 2017), Saltfever (Jun 26, 2022), Seedtick (Oct 9, 2017), thevillageinn (Oct 22, 2017), Tonyg (Aug 26, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jul 21, 2018), Tule (Oct 10, 2017), UncleBob (Jul 20, 2018), UncleRuss (Nov 28, 2017)

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    Great idea and very nicely done. I will have to keep this one in mind. Thanks.

2000 Tool Plans
    From a popular rap: "If time is money then I need a loan."
    Carlos B,http://hobbyworkshopprojects.blogspot.com

Thanks

takkleberry's Tools
    Outstanding idea. Nice job

Thanks
    WOW!!

I teach precision machining in a career center and am always looking for great projects to teach manual and cnc machining. YOU HAVE A GREAT PROJECT. It would teach a lot of techniques and can be kept in a future tool maker's tool box. Meet both of my biggest criteria for a project.

Will be getting a hold of you for a set of plans.

WELL DONE!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vegerj For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Oct 10, 2017)

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Really good idea, this dual radius cutters for roughing out and finishing in a single pass.

I must say I like this photo :
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FlyCutter 05.jpg 
Views:	1937 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	19965

The assembly mounted on my static crankshaft balancer. I think that I have described that in a prior posting.
    it reminds me of that :

Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Christophe Mineau For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Aug 26, 2020), olderdan (Oct 10, 2017), Paul Jones (Oct 14, 2017), tonyfoale (Oct 10, 2017), Tonyg (Aug 26, 2020), Tule (Oct 10, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks tonyfoale! We've added your Double Edge Fly Cutter to our Fly Cutters category,
    as well as to your builder page: tonyfoale's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Mineau View Post
    Really good idea, this dual radius cutters for roughing out and finishing in a single pass.

I must say I like this photo :

Christophe,

My memory has gone, I could not find a prior posting of the balance tool so I have just made one.
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...019#post100529

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by vegerj View Post
    WOW!!

I teach precision machining in a career center and am always looking for great projects to teach manual and cnc machining. YOU HAVE A GREAT PROJECT. It would teach a lot of techniques and can be kept in a future tool maker's tool box. Meet both of my biggest criteria for a project.

Will be getting a hold of you for a set of plans.
    WELL DONE!
    Thank you, glad that you enjoyed it. I have to disappoint you about the plans, there are none. I very rarely even sketch these simple jobs, they just get made from what I have laying around. More complex things with alternative solutions may get some concept sketches. If it is really important then i draw the minimum on a drawing board. If it is for CNC then i write the G-code directly or use my own G-code generating software written for specific tasks.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations tonyfoale - your Double Edge Fly Cutter is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

Some nice entries this week: a Lathe Taper Turning Attachment by brianhw, a Finishing Rotisserie by morsa, a Polyurethane Foam Sprayer by Mehanol, a Test Socket by rendoman, Metal Sawhorses by Monte Bennett, a Drawbar Wrench by Markj, and an Angle Grinder Nest by rgsparber. There was also a related Crankshaft Balancing and Alignment Tool by tonyfoale.

tonyfoale - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. And, you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 6th Homemade Tool of the Week win! Here are all of your winning tools:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Oct 14, 2017)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    great tool. simple

Thread Information