Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dremel fan

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Dremel fan

Dremel now makes a tiny fan to blow dust away from the tool you are using...

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-490-Dus...el+accessories

It comes permanently attached to one of their collet chucks which is fine if you use collets to hold tools. I prefer to use their 3jaw chucks since many of my tools have different size shafts and switching collets becomes tedious if using several different tools. So, I took a bit of nylon-like plastic from the "what is this stuff?" bin and machined something that looked like an eight-bladed fan with blockish blades. Using miniature carving chisels and, of course, a Dremel, I manufactured something that friction fits the base of the 3jaw chuck.

This photo shows the Dremel fan and 3jaw chuck along with the fan I made...

and this one shows the fan in place on my Milwaukee-Dremel...

Despite lacking the ducting of the Dremel fan, my bit of sculpture produces more airflow than the Dremel fan.

A bit about the Milwaukee-Dremel...

I was casting about for a more powerful rotary tool than the Dremels I have. Dremel's newer model, the 8220, looked attractive but, while scouring Amazon, I happened upon Milwaukee's latest offering.

It has exactly the same spindle thread as the Dremels and the nose thread (3/4-12) is the same so screw-on things like the router also fit. Best of all, it takes the Milwaukee M-12 batteries. This is the same battery as used in my drill so I already have two and the charger. Milwaukee sells the unit without the battery (what I bought) although it's available with battery if you don't have one. I've been very happy with the Milwaukee batteries so I was pleased to be able to use them with this tool.

The Milwaukee has more power and less spindle run-out than the Dremel 8220. It's one drawback is that it is noisy at the higher speeds.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 8, 2017 at 11:30 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

bob_3000 (Jul 17, 2023), C-Bag (Jan 28, 2016), Captn Roy (Jun 12, 2018), Christophe Mineau (Jan 28, 2016), Home-PC (Jul 24, 2020), Jon (Jan 26, 2016), kbalch (Jan 26, 2016), oldcaptainrusty (Nov 24, 2017), Paul Jones (Jan 26, 2016), PJs (Jan 27, 2016), rlm98253 (Nov 20, 2017), tom petersoin (Mar 11, 2016), toma (Feb 8, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv,
    Your fan is a great improvement and also thanks for the 3-jaw chuck tip. I bought one for the Dremel but it got diverted to another micro machining project and will have to get it back. Thanks for the product info for the Dremel-like tool from Milwaukee.
    Paul

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    Marv,
    Your fan is a great improvement and also thanks for the 3-jaw chuck tip. I bought one for the Dremel but it got diverted to another micro machining project and will have to get it back. Thanks for the product info for the Dremel-like tool from Milwaukee.
    Paul

Those chucks make good pin vises, too...

The thread on the Dremel spindle is 40 tpi so it's easy to make one on the lathe. Bore out the tube so it can be used to hold long stuff. Add, as I did, a removable spinner and away you go.
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 11, 2017 at 09:57 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Feb 12, 2018), Paul Jones (Jan 26, 2016), PJs (Jan 27, 2016), ranald (Feb 9, 2018), rlm98253 (Nov 20, 2017), tom petersoin (Mar 11, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks mklotz! We've added your Rotary Tool Fan to our Rotary Tools category, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Hi Marv,
    Very nice idea again ! I will try that, especially when rooting inlay pockets, this must be great.
    (Have you ever tried to blow on your work, while you are wearing a mask ? I always do that )
    I'm also very interested with you three jaw chuck for the Dremel, didn't know this was available. I am always complaining with the poor centering of the tools using the Dremel original colet chuck system. I suppose this gets much improved with this kind of chuck ?
    And your idea for making a pin vise of it seems also a good argument for purchasing it too.
    What brand is it ? I will have to find that in Europa...
    Thanks !
    Christophe
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Christophe Mineau For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 28, 2016)

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    I'm not sure of the brand. I purchase them from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-4486-Mu...s=dremel+chuck

but I don't know if Amazon has a French operation or will ship to France.

Jet.com has them too...

https://jet.com/product/detail/31a12...mFYaAgN78P8HAQ

but again I don't know about availability in La Belle France.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Jan 28, 2016), Paul Jones (Jan 29, 2016)

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Thanks ! I see it's the Dremel Brand for the first, I should manage to find it
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks mklotz! We've added your Pin Vise to our Vises category, as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanks for the great pin vice idea. Do you have any thoughts on how to true up the runout on the 3-jaw chuck. The one I have is almost unusable with a small drill bit. I cannot figure out how to dissemble the chuck. Thanks.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by johnclark View Post
    Thanks for the great pin vice idea. Do you have any thoughts on how to true up the runout on the 3-jaw chuck. The one I have is almost unusable with a small drill bit. I cannot figure out how to dissemble the chuck. Thanks.
    Truing chucks generally doesn't work very well. Grinding is a possibility but requires preloading the jaws which is difficult. Moreover, when done the chuck is really only accurate on the size shaft corresponding to its opening when ground.

When machinists want low runout they use collets. If you have runout problems with collets the rotary tool bearings could be at fault or the collet was machined badly. If you have a lathe try making some accurate collets; it's fairly easy to do. If your runout problem is with drills, look into carbide circuit board drills; most have a 1/8" shaft. If you can get one accurate 1/8" collet, that might help with your problem.

I don't regard the Dremel as a high precision tool. Its value lies in its size and the range of available accessories. For really accurate work you need something like a Unimat or Sherline.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

ranald (Feb 9, 2018)

Thread Information