Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Dremel Tool Bracket for Lathe

Thanks

scrdmgl's Tools

Dremel Tool Bracket for Lathe

I made a Dremel Tool bracket using two 1 1/2"metal pipe hangers from Lowes that fit the OD of the Dremel perfectly. In the center of the "ring" or hanger, there is a boss for a 3/8" 16 NC screw. I choosed a piece of CRS 3/4" thick by 1 1/4" wide to fit my lathe tool post. To drill the holes for the screws in the lathe's center line, I attached the block in one the four tool locations and by using a MT5 dead center in my lathe spindle I scribed a line in the bar to locate the two Allen flat head attaching bolts countersunk level with the bar. The rings
    Dremel Tool Bracket for Lathe-steel-pipe-hanger.jpg
    The finished bracket attached to the Dremel Station horizontal as in the lathe and vertical for other uses.
    Dremel Tool Bracket for Lathe-dremel-tool-lathe-drill-stand-bracket.jpg
    Dremel Tool Bracket for Lathe-dremel-tool-lathe-drill-stand-bracket.jpg
    I placed the rings as far apart as possible in areas not affecting switches and also without ribs in the tool body.
    The round head original screws used in the rings were replaced by Allen socket screws tightened firm but not excessively due to the plastic body of the Dremel. The assembly is very solid and without movement or vibration as other brackets using a metal or aluminum block with a threaded hole at the end holding the Dremel by the end only, which is rather weak given the massive overhang at the rear of the tool.
    The Dremel held in the lathe thus, is useful not only for grinding OD/IDs but also to drill radial 1/8" holes in a centered work piece in the lathe chuck for those people who have an indexing plate in the back of the spindle. Such holes can later be transferred safely to a mill or drill press and enlarged as required.
    All that's needed, is a pin gauge to locate the first hole in a rotary table and then move over to the rest for perfectly centered and aligned locations.
    The bracket as designed, allows installation in the Dremel station or lathe without dismantlig.
    For appearance's sake the bracket assembly was sprayed flat black.
    I decided to explain how I ended up finding already made components to build this and other gadgets and fixtures. Before I embark in any construction, I simply rack my brains trying to figure out what factory made parts could suit my purpose at a modest or reasonable cost.
    You need to put your imagination to work in overdrive and very often there is something appropriate somewhere; either a tool built for another purpose, spare part or component waiting for you. I've done this all my life (long life) with great success. If your efforts fail, then and only then, embark yourself in a full from scratch build up.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by scrdmgl; Apr 9, 2016 at 07:24 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scrdmgl For This Useful Post:

Dave 2051 (Apr 9, 2016), Jon (Apr 6, 2016), Paul Jones (Apr 7, 2016), PJs (Apr 6, 2016)

Thanks

Ed ke6bnl's Tools
    if this works with my dremel will do it, can leave it on and still use a stand alone Dremel, NICE

2000 Tool Plans
    1950 F1 street rod
    1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
    1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
    1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame going for a 4BT cummins motor, NV4500
    1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,P/S
    2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
    1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,

Thanks

scrdmgl's Tools
    Hi Ed:
    When you get the rings/holders, you'll see that they have a reinforcing rib in the center; that rib needs to be ground (I did it in a belt sander) to provide just enough clearance to clear the bracket in the Dremel Station. You of course only need to do it on the side opposite to the block bolted to the rings. At any rate, they are meant for a much heavier job that holding the very light Dremel tool and the finished assembly is super strong. I think that I went overboard in using CRS and 6061 aluminum should be enough. Make sure that the 3/8" Allen screws are 1/8" below the length of the boss in the ring to ensure that they don't hit the Dremel.

Cheers

Jorge
    Last edited by scrdmgl; Apr 8, 2016 at 07:09 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scrdmgl For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 7, 2016), PJs (Apr 8, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks scrdmgl! We've added your Dremel Bracket to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: scrdmgl's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

scrdmgl (Apr 8, 2016)

Thread Information