Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Drill bit web thinning.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools

Drill bit web thinning.

Prompted by Bob's excellent video on split point drill bit sharpening at http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...arpening-70940 I present my own simple tool modification for the same purpose.
    Bob talked about drill point geometry and split point sharpening so I won't repeat that although I use the 4 or 6 facet geometry explained in my earlier post at http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/h...6205#post83247 .

Web thinning at the point of the drill enables a more accurate start to a hole and reduces wander, it also removes or reduces the need to drill a pilot hole with a smaller bit because the point of the drill is in effect the same as a smaller drill.

I had a little grinder designed for sharpening chainsaws which I used sometimes for web thinning but the blade was at an angle and was movable, this made it less than ideal for drill bit work. This is pictured below.

Drill bit web thinning.-webthinning01.jpg Drill bit web thinning.-webthinning02.jpg Click thumbnails for full size images.

To improve its utility I made this simple holding support from some bits out of the scrap bin.

Drill bit web thinning.-webthinning03.jpg Drill bit web thinning.-webthinning04.jpg

The next pix show the grinder mounted on the support. It is now very convenient to use.

Drill bit web thinning.-webthinning05.jpg Drill bit web thinning.-webthinning06.jpg

The wheel that came with the grinder is 3 mm wide which is fine for larger bits but too thick for smaller ones. Fortunately the hole diameter in 1 mm angle grinder cutoff blades is the same and so I change over to those for smaller bits.

Drill bit web thinning.-webthinning07.jpg
    Showing a 3 mm blade mounted with a 1 mm cutoff blade below.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jan 17, 2019), basil3w (Jan 16, 2019), cogentia (Jan 29, 2021), emu roo (Dec 13, 2023), Jon (Jan 15, 2019), oldpastit (Jan 17, 2019), Saltfever (Jan 31, 2021), Seedtick (Jan 16, 2019), Sleykin (Jan 28, 2021), threesixesinarow (Jan 15, 2019), Tule (Jan 17, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I have the Oregon brand chain saw grinder once ZI somehow odored a new grinding disk for it that had the RPM miss labeled I turned it on and was just getting started to make sure it was running true when it exploded even with the guard in place a large chunk was embedded between my 2nd and 3rd fingers, Hurt like all heck I pulled the piece of disk out of my hand only to find it had penetrated over 1/2" between the knuckles. so that caused me to decide to go to the emergency room to make sure there was no more debris inside. There wasn't and the doc said that he didn't want to stitch it up just pack the wound and let it heal on its own. I could have done that after all I had already done the clean out and disinfecting with a hydrogen peroxide betadine solution the only thing I didn't have was the ability to x-ray
    I rarely use my saw grinder and only for sharpening the chains but I can see how they could work for what you mentioned, They just seem a little dangerous to me now even with the 10,000 RPM disk that I bought for it.
    just gun shy I guess.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (Jan 28, 2021)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I rarely use my saw grinder and only for sharpening the chains but I can see how they could work for what you mentioned, They just seem a little dangerous to me now even with the 10,000 RPM disk that I bought for it.
    just gun shy I guess.
    Gun shy matches well with 10,000 rpm. My grinder spins at closer to half that.

Thanks
    Thanks Tony for the post,
    I bought a similar grinder off the internet that was so off from one side of the chain to the other I have started to make a small sort of all purpose grinder from it. I bought it to true up old chains to ring every last drop out of them but I can do better by eye than it could do and what is the point of trying to reset for each side I figure. Seems I will be able to use it as a sort of tool post grinder on the lathe also. Have found the narrow grinding wheel is helpful for some tasks as you clearly show in your post.
    Eric

7. The Following User Says Thank You to suther51 For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Jan 18, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I find that the fixed attitude of the grinder angle does not match well to the factory grind of many chains.
    Like preciously stated by suther51 good for pulling the last little bit of use out of an old chain.
    I won't use mine on a fresh chain that has had less than 2 dozen hand filings done to it. My grinder spins at 6500 RPM hence is why I use only the 10,00 RPM or better disks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 17, 2019)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by suther51 View Post
    Thanks Tony for the post,
    I bought a similar grinder off the internet that was so off from one side of the chain to the other I have started to make a small sort of all purpose grinder from it. ........ Seems I will be able to use it as a sort of tool post grinder on the lathe also. Have found the narrow grinding wheel is helpful for some tasks as you clearly show in your post.
    Eric
    Eric,

Using the narrow wheels is very useful and for drill points it works great, however if yours is like mine then it will not have anywhere near enough power to use as even a small TP grinder.

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I find that the fixed attitude of the grinder angle does not match well to the factory grind of many chains.
    ........ My grinder spins at 6500 RPM hence is why I use only the 10,00 RPM or better disks
    I had no trouble with the angles nor sharpening the chains, but I do find it faster to do with a file. My needs are minimal, if I have to do a chain once a year that would be a lot.
    I misunderstood your previous post. I read it as if your grinder spun at 10,000 rpm, now I see that you buy only buy 10,000 rated disks.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks tonyfoale! We've added your Drill Bit Web Thinner to our Grinding category,
    as well as to your builder page: tonyfoale's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Jan 18, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Tony my bad , I didn't include the 6500 RPM grinder speed for my reasoning for the 10,000 RPM disks These thin 3mm disks are not reinforced

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information