Free 50 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Remove advertisements
    kim

Thanks

From Drill to Mill

I was delighted reading the post on the Drill to mill conversión but unfortunatelly is incomplete, the autor is no longer posting.
    Any more ideas? Some time ago I tried milling aluminum with a cheap chinese bench drill, after a while it started wobling and it was trashed.
    I bought a heavier, probably US made old bench drill and would like to convert it since a real milling machine is just a dream out of reach (to heavy/to expensive and yes, to difficult to conceal from femenine eyes)
    I adapted a mill attachment to my atlas 618 but is not enough for my DIY ego.

Any ideas someone?

kim

Thanks
    Just finished with the new brass gibs on my asian xy vise and what a change, I have no perceptible backlash!!! great.
    The vise is a lot smaller tan the table mentioned in the post so there is no room for dials and travel stops. I´ll see what else can I do

kim

Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kim For This Useful Post:

kbalch (07-03-2015)

Thanks
    I'm trying to make a mill from a Clausing 20" drill press to. Ill let you know if I get any info

Thanks
    Check this out. framer99.blogspot.com/2012/11/diy-reverse-drawbar.html

italiantools
    Thanks
    I think that converting a drill in mill is not convenient . The drill is designed to resist wear in the vertical direction . I think if used like a mill it ruins in a short time .

Thanks
    As a Sr Mfg Engineer I can tell you it is considered a cardinal sin to hold an endmill in a drill chuck even for boring purposes because the chucks are not designed to support the radial forces that are only handled properly by collets and solid holders. You get a small X & Y milling attachment that can be mounted to the drill press table. You would be restricted to very light cuts with the drill chuck.

I used to have my own part time machine shop with 2 Bridgeports, a Boyar Schultze 612 surface grinder, and a Monarch engine lathe. I worked at it for 8 years and made enough money to buy a Bridgeport Series 2 NC. I was chided by friends and customer initially until they saw the work I could do with it.

Now with all that gone I yearn to have a clunky old Bridgeport to handle my projects. If you can afford $1200 or up you can run a 3 phase 2 hp on a static phase converter (motor starter then runs on single phase at 2/3 power output) I had to build a rotary phase converter to run my NC on that cost me $75 for an old Baldor 7.5 hp motor. You just need a big enough motor to cover the largest motor and start this motor with a static phase converter. This will supply true 3 phase power to anything on that circuit.

Post your reply!
    Join 33,912 of us and get our 50 Must Read Homemade Tools eBook free.

50 Must Read Homemade Tools
    Last edited by jimspac; 02-07-2016 at 07:07 PM. Reason: addition of information

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jimspac For This Useful Post:

TCL (02-11-2016)

Thread Information