Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drill press accessory tray

Thanks

morsa's Tools

Drill press accessory tray

This accessory tray was made by reusing a coffee maker warming plate and a bucket handle. A scrap wood is attached to the drill press column with a U-bolt and supports the tray.

It is useful to place the chuck key or those accessories of the drill press being used, like drill bits, countersink bits, cutting fluid, layout tools, etc. The tray swings out of the way, but keeps tools within reach. This way, no matter how crowded the workbench is, you always have a place to put these accessories, and most important, you always know where to find them.

Drill press accessory tray-dsc07397b.jpg

Drill press accessory tray-dsc07402.jpg

Regards, morsa.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morsa For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Nov 4, 2016), PJs (Nov 4, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks morsa! We've added your Drill Press Accessory Tray to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: morsa's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Good One Morsa...I think you've started a trend! I've been saving 2 dead espresso machines for the SS and other goodies for a good reason I now think. Thanks for sharing! ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Thanks, PJs.
    There are commercial trays (https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=d...Hb-5D1IQsAQIIQ), but they can be made in the workshop.
    By the way, that tray was made in May-2014, and although the old drill press was changed, the tray is still in use.

Drill press accessory tray-dsc09626.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to morsa For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 4, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Since we're talking about trays, let me trumpet the advantages of magnetic parts trays.

They're available cheaply in several sizes from 6" ...

6" Magnetic Parts Holder

to 9-1/2"...

9-1/2 in. Magnetic Parts Tray with Hood

Daiso also has them in tiny sizes, approximately 2 or 3". HF often has freebie coupons for their 4" model.

I keep one stuck to the vertical side of the milling machine to hold center drills and such that I don't want to lose in the swarf. One of them stuck to the car's fender will keep the lug nuts out of the dirt while changing a tire. Their utility is limited only by your imagination.

I make my own version when disassembling things (lights, fans, outlets) around the house. I stick a magnet to the back of my hand (or gloves if I'm wearing them) with double-sided tape and capture the small screws and nuts from the disassembly there. They're literally "at hand" when it's time to put things back together. Especially handy if working on a ladder. One of these days I'll go professional and glue the magnet to an elastic band and the skin on the back of my hand can heal.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Those are good ideas, mklotz.
    The magnetic parts-holder, although cheap, could be made at the workshop with the magnet of a discarded speaker. I like the idea of making an elastic band with a magnet; besides picking up screws when disassembling things, it could be useful to carry nails or wood screws, but with both hands free.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I like the swing-away feature I build a lot of my stuff with swing-away features.
    I also enjoy most anything that has been re-purposed
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

morsa (Nov 5, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by morsa View Post
    Those are good ideas, mklotz.
    The magnetic parts-holder, although cheap, could be made at the workshop with the magnet of a discarded speaker. I like the idea of making an elastic band with a magnet; besides picking up screws when disassembling things, it could be useful to carry nails or wood screws, but with both hands free.
    I fear that a loudspeaker magnet would be too strong and too heavy for the job. You don't want something that attaches itself so forcefully that the substrate is dented, nor do you want to have to use both hands to pick up the dish. The commercial dishes have the magnet encased in a soft plastic so it won't mark the substrate surface.

They sell magnetic wrist bands...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=1G1WQR5QQD761

but it's more fun to make your own. It would be a good way to recycle a dead wrist watch.

Another approach I've used is to simply put the magnet in my shirt pocket and stick the nails and screws to my shirt. My wife claims this makes me look even geekier than usual. She says that I'm not allowed to answer the doorbell when I've done this. Perhaps she has a point.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 5, 2016)

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I like the swing-away feature I build a lot of my stuff with swing-away features.
    I also enjoy most anything that has been re-purposed
    Thanks, Frank S. The idea is very similar to the http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/w...l-holder-53124.

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I fear that a loudspeaker magnet would be too strong and too heavy for the job. You don't want something that attaches itself so forcefully that the substrate is dented, nor do you want to have to use both hands to pick up the dish. The commercial dishes have the magnet encased in a soft plastic so it won't mark the substrate surface.
    I guess the magnet in the first link you shared (6" Magnetic Parts Holder), must be strong enough to hold the tray and items in a vertical position, but I agree, for normal use such a strenght is not necessary.

A sports wrist band would be perfect for your project. https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=s...HZlhBi4QsAQIIA

Thread Information