Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Drill Press DRO

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Thanks for the kind words Crahar. I do that sometimes too, or lay things out in an order that works for me. This was a case of calibrated finger torque and guess I wasn't paying enough attention putting it back together after the clean up so it caught me off guard.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

jere's Tools
    Thanks PJ

The drill has about a foot of height adjustment altogether, 6 inches from the quill and 6 inches on the cast dovetail ( originally some of these had a half ton cast base with the table that was nothing like today's tables. The small wheel on the front is for adjustment of the belt tension. These had leather line drive flat belts originally, a previous owner got creative with the pulley setup. The adjustment wheel moves the motors sled. If you ever come across one save it if you can. They sell from most industrial auctions online for scrap value often. Mine only has an old ˝hp motor but it will go through steel plate like its butter, and very quietly too.

Good idea on using the pinch clamp bolts, that looks like a perfect spot! I have a pile of those coupons too

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jere For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 14, 2015)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    The small wheel on the front is for adjustment of the belt tension. These had leather line drive flat belts originally, a previous owner got creative with the pulley setup. The adjustment wheel moves the motors sled. If you ever come across one save it if you can. They sell from most industrial auctions online for scrap value often. Mine only has an old ˝hp motor but it will go through steel plate like its butter, and very quietly too.

Good idea on using the pinch clamp bolts, that looks like a perfect spot! I have a pile of those coupons too
    Very cool details, Jere. I thought that idler looked a little odd, like an add-on, but still very cool to be able to adjust or change belts from the front. My Dads old radial head was quite too, probably all that Iron! You can bet your boots if I find one I'll snag it!

HFT runs those 6" calipers on sale <$10 all the time but recommend opening a few and taking the best one...some are rough as cobs. Seems like a natural place with bolts available...glad to help. Look forward to what you come up with!
    Mark Twain

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

jere (Aug 14, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    That's a nice and clean mod, PJs. My kind of build. I like your use of a simple worm clamp as a fixing band for the sliding scale.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 15, 2015)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Thanks DIYer, that means a lot coming from you!
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Very nice PJ and a great write-up.
    If the battery replacement is a hassle it might be worth running a pair of wires to it and have an external battery or power supply.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Nice job. I am basically lazy so I would not take the caliper apart but double face tape it in place and move the battery above it for easy changing.
    The battery holders are easy to find so it would just take a couple of tiny wires and solder them inside the orig battery holder and place the new Battery holder just above the setup. You would not have to use a button cell and you could use a AAA battery which would last a long time. I'm going to mount a pic of your project above my drill press hoping I will get off my butt and do this.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information