Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Drill press into milling machine

Thanks
    Art
    I am sorry I even vented on this topic. A DRILL PRESS is made to drill holes NOT do MILLING.
    I'M DONE

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ncollar For This Useful Post:

mariusmarius (Mar 8, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by master53yoda View Post
    I did a write up on a drill press conversion that address all the negative feedback that is brought up about converting a few years ago. that thread is here
    Homemade Drill Press Conversion - HomemadeTools.net
    Having been inside and out machine tools my entire working life, master53yoda's methods are very sound, and applied logically. While converting doesn't interest me directly, solid application of mechanical physics always does.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

mariusmarius (Mar 8, 2018), master53yoda (Jan 7, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ncollar View Post
    Marius
    The idea of using a drill press as a mill has been around since the beginning of time. The spindle and the bearings are set up to cut in one direction that is down. Any side ways movement will do nothing but wear a bearing that is not designed for that. Not just that but the chuck will more than likely shack itself off. If you go forward with the idea make sure you have a good supply of cutters because the sizes you will be able to use are rather fragile.
    Thank you for advice!

Thanks

master53yoda's Tools
    A drill press requires conversion to successfully function as a mill, that conversion must address The differences between a mill-drill and a drill press.

I looked at the location of the request Romania, and thought that the ability for access to Bridgeport mills etc. was limited, I also am totally aware of all the naysayers responses to modifying tooling for other purposes then there original intent. I totally agree that a drill press as originally designed cannot successfully function as a milling machine, but with the inclusion of a functional xy table and minor rigidity modifications, MT insert modifications any large drill press, (not a toy drill press) can be made equal to a round-column mill drill. The mill conversion that i show on that referred thread has less than $550.00 invested including the variable speed power supply and motor, xy table, bearing change, er 25 collet set, set of 1/8 to 3/4 2 and 4 flute endmills, DRO, 2.5" diameter3 cutter face mill, and is equal in its milling function to any round column mill, to exceed its functions would require a mill costing well over 4 times what I have into it. this forum is about how to do DIY tools.

art b
    Last edited by master53yoda; Jan 7, 2018 at 04:15 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to master53yoda For This Useful Post:

mariusmarius (Mar 8, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jan 7, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I agree 100% with master53yoda; throwing a x-y table on a drill press will not make a milling machine.
    Completing mechanical upgrades like he suggest, minimize stability and rigidity issues. His use of terms "equal" and "exceed" recognize the difference perfectly.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member Kwick Aronson's Avatar
    Thanks
    Buy a HarborFreight Mini Mill. You can find 20-25% coupons and shipping is under $25...yes, under $25.

ALL the replacements parts are available from www.LittleMachineShop.com and they are really cheap.
    Just took delivery of mine the other day. Got it all set up and it works SWEET!
    They, and all the mini mills and lathes are made by Sieg in China. I bought my LMS 5100 7x16" High Torque lathe a couple months ago and it has worked flawlessly. I use the lathe about 98% of the time, the mill 2%, so I paid a premium for the better lathe.

Thanks
    Hi
    I do some crude milling with my chinese drill press and a grizzly X:Y table.
    Tramming is the big problem. Not rigid enough for heavy cuts.
    Tramming the table is tough. The round table is held to the column with one bolt.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dkwflight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks to all of you!
    According to yours advises, I will put some money away and in at least one year, I will buy a milling machine. How about this one: Warco WM 14 Milling Machine - Quality Small Metalworking Mill ?
    I am a beginner, but I have two right hands.
    Thanks for all, machinists!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information