Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Drilling a ½ Inch Hole in a ½ Inch Bar

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Drilling a ½ Inch Hole in a ½ Inch Bar

Say I need to drill a 1/2 inch hole in a 1/2 inch wide bar. How can I do this without severing the bar? I recently had to solve this problem.

If you are interested, please see

https://rick.sparber.org/HalfInchHoleHalfInchBar.pdf

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 29, 2019), jjr2001 (Jan 28, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 28, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    The first thing I thought of when you posted the question was don't drill all the way through. Then I opened the file and that was exactly what you did . However you did make a play on wording the hole you drilled it turns out was to be threaded to 1/2 13 tpi. meaning depending on which drill tap chart one goes by the hole would have been drilled to approximately 27/64" just keeping the dimensional sizes in simple terms. this should have left .039" on each side after tapping just like your PDF showed the tap would have cut through the sides or it would have deformed the sides outward just a little to leave a couple thou. the only structural integrity left in the taped hole would have been the ribbons of the threads.
    yes it can be done I've done it in steel the same way you described then welded along the sides to secure a stud to make an eye bolt

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I needed a pair of blocks to securely clamp a 3/8" boring bar on my lathe in my old lantern type tool post.

The solution for me was to drill a 3/8" hole all the way through a 3/8 x 1 x 1 piece of hot rolled steel as shown below.

Name:  clamp blocks.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  8.8 KB

I simply center punched the location on one edge as close as I could get it. Then sandwiched that piece between two pieces of the same material, holding it together with tape. Clamped the sandwich in my drill press vise and drilled the hole. The drill bit broke through both sides of the work piece as it was a bit under .375, but the steel I had made the sandwich with kept everything in line and kept the bit from breaking out of the work piece into the vice jaws. Each of the side plates had a tiny "groove", not much more than a scratch, where the bit cut them a little as it made its way down the work piece.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Or go see a blacksmith. They can put a 1" hole though your 1/2" bar! But it probably wont be threaded.....

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    I needed a pair of blocks to securely clamp a 3/8" boring bar on my lathe in my old lantern type tool post.

The solution for me was to drill a 3/8" hole all the way through a 3/8 x 1 x 1 piece of hot rolled steel as shown below.

Name:  clamp blocks.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  8.8 KB

I simply center punched the location on one edge as close as I could get it. Then sandwiched that piece between two pieces of the same material, holding it together with tape. Clamped the sandwich in my drill press vise and drilled the hole. The drill bit broke through both sides of the work piece as it was a bit under .375, but the steel I had made the sandwich with kept everything in line and kept the bit from breaking out of the work piece into the vice jaws. Each of the side plates had a tiny "groove", not much more than a scratch, where the bit cut them a little as it made its way down the work piece.
    Hemmjo,

Good techinque using padding to keep the drill from snagging. I have made similar jaws and they hold round stock very well.

Thanks,

Rick
    Rick

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bolts View Post
    Or go see a blacksmith. They can put a 1" hole though your 1/2" bar! But it probably wont be threaded.....
    and it won't be 1/2" wide when done...

Rick
    Rick

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks Rick! We've added your Bar Drilling Method to our Drilling and Drill Presses category, as well as to your builder page: Rick's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information