Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Driving a Formula One at Monaco

Supporting Member machiningfool's Avatar
    Thanks

machiningfool's Tools

Driving a Formula One at Monaco

I thought that some of you might want to see just how advanced the simulator world has come for computers. I am seventy and a couple of years back a friend of mine introduced me to the PlayStation 3 simulator, GT-5 and GT-6. You start out like I did, not knowing how to race, and they take you through a tutorial of a racing school, and at the end, if you want, you can drive a formula car. Your wives might not like this either because this is addicting, oh, but so much fun, a real E ticket ride. You can be the judge, but to me this is the closest thing that I could experience to driving a formula car. I made what is called a ghetto rig, a car cockpit made of 2x4's and plywood. I mounted an 88 Corvette seat with 6 way seat adjustments with a G-27 steering wheel with paddle shifters, and I race on a 55 inch HD screen, and then off to the races. Here is a video of the race at Monaco, called in the game, Cote De Azure. Once your drive one of these, usually that is all you want to drive.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by machiningfool; Aug 6, 2015 at 08:49 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Aug 6, 2015), Paul Jones (Sep 19, 2015)

Thanks
    Very cool! I've been sort of peripherally aware of the improvements made in the racing simulator genre these last few years, but haven't invested in a current console. I love the idea of a dedicated seat and control position. Have you considered any sort of force feedback for the rig?

I've always been a formula car guy, myself, both as a fan and a driver. I think it's our aviation background attracting us to centerline seating and its lack of parallax, car-as-extension-of-self, etc. Plus, being able to see the front wheels contributes to better feel for slip angle, threshold braking, etc. It's addictive and highly recommended!

Ken

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    The steering wheel has force feedback and it is adjustable. As far as the seat, there are full motion rigs with simulated G forces, bumps, and side loads, but very expensive. I prefer to drive without getting tossed around, but I am sure there are some that would like it. You say you have driven a formula car, share your experiences, I would be interested. I can't imagine driving one. I went down to a local business that karts can be rented and I found that the G forces wore me out, boy a formula driver has to be in good shape to endure 50 to sixty laps. I just drive ten laps on my simulator, and I am wore out. Robert Brown.

Thanks
    My hands-on formula car seat time has all been in the Skip Barber race car. Not the fastest thing in the world, though running at 120+ MPH in an open car with your butt a few inches off the deck is an intense experience. As you say, there are Gs to contend with, though I've always enjoyed them. All that time spent pulling to the vertical at 4+ (in everything from Decathlons to Pitts to Extra to T-6 to my RV-8) rendered the lateral forces in the Skippy car absolutely gentle by comparison.

The car had a 5-speed sequential transmission which, naturally, made the the occasional missed shift of an H-pattern box a thing of the past. Great fun!!

Attached is a pic of yours truly ready to head out on track at Sebring a few years ago.

Ken

Driving a Formula One  at Monaco-adv2-13-800x.jpg

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Wow, I bet that was a thrill. Thank you very much for sharing. I think you would really like PS3 GT5 and GT6, hundreds of cars to drive and online racing also.

Thanks
    Those new console racing games sound neat; I'll definitely have to give them a look.

You can follow my current project here: Ken's New Toy I'm still hopeful that it'll be done sometime this fall. We shall see.

Ken

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Oh man, what a car. That is fantastic.

Thanks

jere's Tools
    Is the experience with the steering wheel similar to driving a car with newer games and a wheel?

In the driving games I have played in the past the controls are worlds apart from just a street car. It's like the game designers wanted the game experience to be like drunk driving. The car in the game just doesn't react right. The consoles I have played are considered dated now.

Thanks
    There's something about simulator technology that always seems to miss out on completely replicating the real thing. In the case of console racing sims, it may represent a deliberate choice on the part of the game designers as a means of tweaking the challenging/frustrating balance to increase engagement.

FWIW, the Level D sims I've flown have each been more pitch-sensitive than the airplanes. Given how they're otherwise intended to be as perfect a training environment as it's possible to produce, I've always suspected it was deliberate there, too. After all, if you can fly the sim, you'll have no trouble handling the jet.

Ken

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

jere (Aug 7, 2015)

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Jere, the G-27 steering wheel very accurately simulates the real thing. There is no lag, also one can choose the ratio, quick for a racing car and slower for a street car. The sims like GT5 and GT6 very accurately simulate the steering experience. The G-27 costs about 250.00, you get the peddles and the gear shift. Logitech makes it. I bought mine on Ebay.

Kbalch, I have flown about all of the sims and yes the pitch control usually does not depict the real world, especially in Microsoft Flight sim. I feel that the way they write the program there is a certain amount of trying to predict what your moves might be and there seems to be an inherent lag, but in X-plane, I think they are up to X-plane 11 or 12, I don't know, doesn't seem to have that feeling with pitch. It seems to be more realistic. I don't think the pitch control is deliberately made to be sensitive, I feel it just the way they write the program, probably too lazy to get it right. I don't like Microsoft Flight sim for that reason, X-Plane would be my choice, much more accurate. Bob.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

jere (Aug 7, 2015)

Thread Information