Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dro Mounting Panel for the Readouts Mini Mill

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    With the larger machine I would go with the integrated display and oil/water proof sensors. I am not sure what type of sensors the inexpensive iGaging scales use but they can be cut to length which I had to do for my mill. The advantages of the integrated displays puts them in a much higher level than just the scales with individual readouts. I have not had any contamination problems with the inexpensive iGaging scales other than one bad cable. I did make some "scale covers" from light weight cloth just to keep the chips out but they are not oil or water proof. The integrated readout panel sure is interesting.

For the larger lathe I would certainly want oil and water proof scales. The shielded cables look very nice on the 2 axis that C-Bag noted and I would want that for the lathe. I did not put them on the lathe since the lathe is so small I thought they would be in the way and would certainly get oil and coolant on them. On the mini mill they are a bit more protected and the inexpensive ones seem to work pretty well.

Hope I answered all the questions and thanks for all the comments.

Cheers, JR

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Oct 3, 2016), Paul Jones (Oct 3, 2016), PJs (Oct 5, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Good Find C-Bag, hadn't seen these B4. The specs/functions look pretty good and actually think the scales look well built and enclosed with flex metal cable jackets. Ya just never know about repeatability which to me is an important spec that generally only the upper end ones give. It may be caused by the scale interface to glass or the readout...diagnostics would be tough. Also keep in mind the scales are 5.5" (141mm) longer than your travel for mounting them so scout where/how to mount them. The other thing is the reliability of the interface...it's probably a long wait for replacement or service and the only guarantee is "Your satisfaction is guaranteed", what ever that means, but Ebay does and will assist and for how long...whose noseż

All in all for ~$200 to the door is a great price for 2 axis glass scales and lots of toys on the display. Think it comes down to finding a lot of what others are saying about these, seller and ask about the guarantee in writing before purchase and if they have calibration specs and a manual. 2 - 5* on Amazon, different seller. 1 -2* on the 3axis.

Quite a broad range of categories in his store also...from blowup bouncers to jewelry ring stretchers...Guess you pays your money and takes your chances.

~PJ

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Oct 6, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    All in all for ~$200 to the door is a great price for 2 axis glass scales and lots of toys on the display. Think it comes down to finding a lot of what others are saying about these, seller and ask about the guarantee in writing before purchase and if they have calibration specs and a manual. 2 - 5* on Amazon, different seller. 1 -2* on the 3axis.

Quite a broad range of categories in his store also...from blowup bouncers to jewelry ring stretchers...Guess you pays your money and takes your chances.

~PJ
    All really good points Wiz, thanks. I always need some outside perspective because with any leap there is just so much to know and to keep track of. And yeah, if you look at all these guys "stores", there is just a crazy range of stuff. But from my experience they know reputation is EVERYTHING so they will do whatever it takes to try and make you happy. But like with my experience with buying a tool grinder/sharpener off eBay it can sometimes take a while to get things ironed out. So it might be a better move to see if someone like Shars picks up this model and does all the QC and take the $100 extra hit like I found out later they did with the tool grinder I bought.

Elsewhere I saw on eBay this same DRO and there were 3 actual reviews. They were all amazed it seemed but had no clue how long it would last. But as usual there was one clinker who couldn't figure out how to mount it. So I have to add "windage" to these kinds of reviews and one liners that just say "won't recommend" but won't say why. But when you see there has been a bunch sold and no bad press, more windage.

There seems to have been a quantitive drop in prices of new unbranded and branded DRO. I have a tendency to think all these things are made in the same place, just with different names on them, but also possibly to different spec. You just can't get that kind of specs out of them because either they don't have the expertise or language barrier. Add to that you can't get guarantees on anything electronic now it seems. More leap of faith, don't get in a hurry I guess

Sorry again JR for the hyjack, but it's nice to get some eyes on this inexpensive DRO question along with some opinions.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Oct 6, 2016), PJs (Oct 5, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    No worry C-Bag, this is all great info and it is very related to what we do.
    Thanks guys for all the input.

Cheers, JR

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Oct 5, 2016), Paul Jones (Oct 6, 2016)

Thread Information