Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: drone takedown tools: beam guns and eagles

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    The recoil looks fine to me. My question is how’s the accuracy?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Radioman For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 26, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    Love it! More fun would be to use a slingshot or shangeye as we called them as kids. Great practice. We used to shoot birds & cook them in large peach tins in the local bush land.

As an adult I used to use one for chasing the cats with their hob-nailed boots off our metal roof when living in surburbia. Pretty cruel if one is hit as they leap about 3 metres straight in the air towards the stars. Buggers would be back a week later. I used ice from a tray (almost symmetrical) and when the ice melted it would simply drain off the roof ( much better than marbles, ball bearings or stones) and less likely to break anything with a ricochet.
    I'd like to shoot you with a marble, ball bearing, a stone, and a chunk of ice to see which you prefer.

2000 Tool Plans
    Pat

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Insufficient recoil, certainly isn't a centerfire handgun. Many [most] semi-auto's can't chamber successive rounds without a decent grip or weak wrist. Inertia of slide versus restrained frame assures full ejection of spent case and strips cartridge from magazine.
    This armed drone looks to carry a full sized pistol ie 1911, Beretta 92 etc. Whatever pistol, instead of it's standard round 9mm, .45, sure not 10mm or Coonan .357; is I'll bet fitted with a rimfire .22 conversion kit. A full size target .22 would also operate suspended in a drone ie S&W 41, Ruger MK IV etc.
    The drone's reaction to recoil shows near perfect straight line evidence of Newton's law. Muzzle rise [handguns] stem from the wrist, effectively an axle or trunnion, below centerline of bore. Countering the effect, Olympic style [free pistol] are peculiarly configured to lower bore centerline with web between thumb and forefinger. The Morini and Hammerli are good examples, but are single shot.
    For me, neither S&W 41's or Medalist Browning's in personal collection would be subjected this kind of undignified activity.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Dec 23, 2018), PJs (Dec 26, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Insufficient recoil, certainly isn't a centerfire handgun. Many [most] semi-auto's can't chamber successive rounds without a decent grip or weak wrist. Inertia of slide versus restrained frame assures full ejection of spent case and strips cartridge from magazine.
    This armed drone looks to carry a full sized pistol ie 1911, Beretta 92 etc. Whatever pistol, instead of it's standard round 9mm, .45, sure not 10mm or Coonan .357; is I'll bet fitted with a rimfire .22 conversion kit. A full size target .22 would also operate suspended in a drone ie S&W 41, Ruger MK IV etc.
    The drone's reaction to recoil shows near perfect straight line evidence of Newton's law. Muzzle rise [handguns] stem from the wrist, effectively an axle or trunnion, below centerline of bore. Countering the effect, Olympic style [free pistol] are peculiarly configured to lower bore centerline with web between thumb and forefinger. The Morini and Hammerli are good examples, but are single shot.
    For me, neither S&W 41's or Medalist Browning's in personal collection would be subjected this kind of undignified activity.
    Not sure I agree about the rim fire based on the mussel blast, seems pretty big to me even for a LR, but you are spot on about the mounting. I've loosed a few rounds from a 1911 with a 22 barrel/receiver and this has more flash than that...but don't know much of other (larger/older) rim fire rounds. What ever that pistol is it looks to have a 15 round clip. Interesting thought because of the size of the magazine...might be Hornets (center fire) or Winchester magnum which would give that size blast. Definitely a mystery pistol to me...receiver is odd.

Most curios to me would be how they remote triggered it. Even with a 2-4lb pull the mechanism must be light, robust and repeatable. Looks to have a camera/laser below the barrel too which probably adds balance to the lack of muzzle rise we see in stop motion as well as Gyro stabilization built into the drone. 4 rounds in 14 seconds and a ~2-3 foot drop per (flat or not, almost turned into a weed eater) makes me question its accuracy...floating target or not.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Dec 26, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by high-side View Post
    I'd like to shoot you with a marble, ball bearing, a stone, and a chunk of ice to see which you prefer.
    Thanks Pat, you get that.
    After weeks of broken sleep from a feral I loose my tolerance (as it becomes torture): at least these days (almost 4 decades on) authorities are trying to do something about desexing cats & dogs before the problem gets worse. We have even reintroduced dingos into fenced areas of 1000's of hectacres of bushland with similar results as in the US with wolves. In our areas, foxes & ferals have disappeared & small marsupials have grown in numbers. Can't do it in suburbia so traps sometimes work. To see your dog ripped by a feral is no fun either. Where I live now wild dogs are as much a problem as cats and both are usually too smart for traps.

Joe South=walk a mile.
    cheers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 10, 2019)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 27, 2019), jjr2001 (Feb 26, 2019), Loose Ctrl (Feb 26, 2019), rlm98253 (Mar 2, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 26, 2019), Seedtick (Feb 26, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    <video controls autoplay loop>
    <source src="https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmt-forum/jetski_drone_takedown.mp4" type="video/mp4">
    Your browser does not support the video tag.
    </video>
    I've got to try that the next time I find myself on a jet ski in rough seas and there is a drone flying overhead
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Russian VTOL UAV with semiautomatic shotgun.

These drone-mounted weapons are rather disturbing. But if it's being done to shoot down OTHER drones, well then, that's perfectly reasonable.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Reply to post #38 that is one scary piece of kit the possibilities of its deployment in a crowded outdoor gathering is frightening to say the least.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 28, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Reply to post #38 that is one scary piece of kit the possibilities of its deployment in a crowded outdoor gathering is frightening to say the least.
    Like many things, the concept is fine. All's well, until nefarious intentions ensue.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information