Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Remove advertisements

Thread: Drum Sander

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools

Drum Sander

G'Day Folks,
    Time to show a bit of work...this one was built to Woodsmith Magazine plans. I couldn't bear the thought of nearly $2000 for a decent drum sander, soooo.....
    Most material was Aussie Hoop Pine (Araucaria cunninghamii) marine plywood. Solid stock is Southern Silky Oak( Grevillea robusta). Drive belt is 80 grit custom made. Drum is 25 x 18mm Melamine faced MR MDF, Shaft is 19mm. It sits on top of the table saw and is driven by the saws arbor pulley. Set up takes about 5 minutes. I store it up in the air on a cable hoist and that takes 10-15 min to get it down! One day I may make a dedicated rolling base with motor for it, but my space is limited and it's not used all that often. I also made a brush shaft that works a treat to relieve grain and produce textured panels. It can go down to 1.5mm ply without trouble. A separate hose attaches to the extractor, an ABSOLUTE necessity. Hand crank for now, but a motor drive is in the future. Next project is a 16" bandsaw from Matthias Wandel's plans...Thanks to all for the inspiration and kind sharing of ideas.

Jim
    Sunny Sth Coast NSW, Australia

Drum Sander-drum-sander-1.jpgDrum Sander-drum-sander-2.jpgDrum Sander-drum-sander-3.jpgDrum Sander-drum-sander-4.jpgDrum Sander-drum-sander-6.jpgDrum Sander-drum-sander-7.jpgDrum Sander-drum-sander-8.jpg

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

aphilipmarcou (08-22-2018), bruce.desertrat (08-20-2018), Jon (08-23-2018), Ken Koch (08-21-2018), Marine2171 (08-20-2018), Paul Jones (08-21-2018), PJs (08-20-2018), ranald (08-25-2018), rlm98253 (08-20-2018), rossbotics (08-19-2018), Seedtick (08-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 293 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Nice work, good idea using the saws motor as well

Doug
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Well Done Jim! Looks like it will get with the program. Look forward to your improvements and seeing what you do with Matthias' bandsaw plans.

Thanks for sharing.

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Thanks Doug. Yea the smoothness of the machined saw pulley on 25mm arbor with 240v 3hp motor makes it sing with very little vibration. Always fun to use...cheers

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Thanks PJ, yea, I'm really looking forward to the build, let alone the eventual use! I grew up on a 26" Crescent bandsaw with 5 hp induction motor, another real treat of a tool. Once you use old solid cast iron tools, with plenty of quiet power and well set up (a must), you give all the new crap a miss...nothing like mass..my 'interpretation'
    will use marine ply laminates for stability and Aussie Euchalypt hardwoods (as dense as 950 - 1100 kg/cu mtr) that means it SINKS even when seasoned!) for the mass. Best get me arse in gear...cheers

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

PJs (08-21-2018)

Thanks

Thanks Beserkleyboy! We've added your Drum Sander to our Drum Sanders category,
    as well as to your builder page: Beserkleyboy's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Post your reply!
    Join 33,912 of us and get our 173 Must Read Homemade Tools eBook free.

173 Must Read Homemade Tools

Thread Information